New design head gaskets/Spacers/Shims, Studs, and Timing

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is old but any news on this? Where did this venture go?

I don't think this ever came to fruition but the owner of R&D Performance worked with a guy named Jan in Europe in development of standard compression and lowered compression MLS gaskets. The standard compression gaskets failed on Justin's Bronco at 58psi. The lowered compression gaskets are being tested by a guy named Mark Strock. The engine has an RD2-90 pump and regularly sees 30psi. They have held for roughly 15k miles thus far iirc. I believe the plan I for the standard gaskets, is to use a different metal and retest.

Sergeant_Swagner

Reaction score
Alright. So eventually, R&D might offer a compression lowering gasket? My understanding is that the big issue with making power on IDI's comes form 1. the lack of direct injection and 2. the high compression ratio which makes big boost not viable. Is that correct?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. So eventually, R&D might offer a compression lowering gasket? My understanding is that the big issue with making power on IDI's comes form 1. the lack of direct injection and 2. the high compression ratio which makes big boost not viable. Is that correct?

You can get the lower compression gaskets right now through Jan over on FTE. And to answer your question, the answer is that those do affect things but those have been overcome for the most part. The biggest issues IMO were fuel and air. That has been overcome as well. Granted the 6.9 with having 7/16 studs have a harder time holding boost but that can be overcome too by dropping compression using those gaskets, shaving pistons, and/or dropping dynamic compression with a cam upgrade. Another thing you can do to a 6.9 is to upgrade to ARP2000 or ARP 625 studs which will cost more money than standard studs or you can machine the block for 1/2 or 9/16 studs. The 7.3 has held 400hp with standard studs torqued to 150lb-ft. Overall, the stock NA rods are good to a little over 300hp. The turbo rods or PSD rods machined to fit an idi are good for over 400hp.

Sergeant_Swagner

Reaction score
So what limits the IDI engines from reaching the same levels of power as a 12v Cummins? I know inline engines have more bottom end support per bearing but if we've solved the majority of the limitations stemming from the fuel and air delivery, why hasn't an IDI been made with power levels around a Cummins?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, Justin already is aiming at 500hp with a DB4 injection pump. He's currently building a set of compounds for it to hit that.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I was trying to edit my other post and it somehow deleted. It said essentially that our fuel capability from a DB pump, even a maxed one, is significantly less than a P-pump. Justin is going to add a 8 cylinder p-pump eventually. The build will need billet PSD rods though.

Sergeant_Swagner

Reaction score
What username does Justin go by? Also, an 8 cylinder P-pump would be total custom right? Sorry I'm new to the world of diesels and have been interested in why it seems to be so underdeveloped even though there are so many of them out there.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So what limits the IDI engines from reaching the same levels of power as a 12v Cummins? I know inline engines have more bottom end support per bearing but if we've solved the majority of the limitations stemming from the fuel and air delivery, why hasn't an IDI been made with power levels around a Cummins?
Fuel.
And direct injection wins, hands down.
Pretty much all the answers to your questions are on the interwebs. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What username does Justin go by? Also, an 8 cylinder P-pump would be total custom right? Sorry I'm new to the world of diesels and have been interested in why it seems to be so underdeveloped even though there are so many of them out there.

RacinNdrummin is his user name on FTE. And yeah it is custom. Has a kit planned for that too haha.

Sergeant_Swagner

Reaction score
Turns out Hypermax sells 8 cylinder P-pumps that they use on Powerstroke motors. I wonder how hard it would be to use one of those with an IDI along witha huge turbo, studs, billet, studded rods, etc. Too bad that pump is 7k hahaha.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out Hypermax sells 8 cylinder P-pumps that they use on Powerstroke motors. I wonder how hard it would be to use one of those with an IDI along witha huge turbo, studs, billet, studded rods, etc. Too bad that pump is 7k hahaha.

R&D will be way more affordable after it is done. Lol. If the goal is all out power a p-pump would be needed but for mild to around 500hp a DB pump is more than enough. Plus its not just the pump that would cost a lot to handle that sort of power. A full power build would be needed as well. Stuff like billet PSD rods, machine work, and studs everywhere, including top of the line and expensive ARP 625 studs. Plus building the top end to handle it too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online