New Addition to the Fleet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My driveway is beginning to look like a used car lot LOL

I hinted at this briefly a few times late last year, but I didn't think anything was actually going to happen until a couple of weeks ago...but, surely enough, I now own three IDI's. cookoo In addition to the 6.9l and the W123 300D that serves as my daily driver, I picked up a '79 W116 300SD this weekend. It needs a starter, some electrical work, and new wheels (I have a set of bundt cakes in the back of the truck that I just need to get tires for; they came with the car), and other things will probably crop up after I get it on the road, but the body and interior are both in far better shape than my 123. The car could stand to be repainted; someone did a cheap paint job at some point in the game and the paint is starting to flake off...but the car's almost completely rust-free (a very rare thing for any 116 chassis) and the body's straight.

The best thing is, the price was right. The car belonged to my friend's dad, and he gave it to my friend to "get rid of"...so, because he didn't want to deal with selling it, my friend decided to give it to me. I was actually originally going to pay $650 for the car back in October, but the front suspension issue (an almost violent shaking above 55mph) scared me away at first. A few people have since told me that that was probably simply a wheel out of balance, and since the tires and wheels came from a junkyard (my friend's dad was the consumate cheapskate ;) ) and are a mixture of steel and aluminum wheels with 4 different brands of tires (not even sure if they're the same size, and I don't know if there are even any weights still on them), it's certainly a place to start. And, if I find out that there's a major problem, the only $$ I've put into the car was for a starter (the rebuilt starter is bad; that's why I need to replace it again...but, because of that rebuild, I know the engine runs well other than needing a water pump), fuel and a trailer rental to get it up here from L.A., and the registration fees...heck, even if it needed a complete rebuild, if I wanted to tow the car to the Northeast, I could probably almost break even due to the lack of rust.

So, here are some pictures :) The first three were taken at a truck stop along the I-5 (in Kettleman City, where the I-5 and the 41 meet, for those of you who know the I-5 corridor through the San Joaquin Valley). The last two were taken by my mom as I backed the trailer into the driveway at the house, getting ready to unload.

Someone, please lie to me and tell me I'm not insane LOL

In my tradition of "naming" cars after warships, and the fact that this 116 is so bloody big, I think I'm going to call her Bismarck :D

Attachments

• Truck & Car at Kettleman City 001 (small).jpg
    Truck & Car at Kettleman City 001 (small).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Truck & Car at Kettleman City 002 (small).jpg
    Truck & Car at Kettleman City 002 (small).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Truck & Car at Kettleman City 007 (small).jpg
    Truck & Car at Kettleman City 007 (small).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Unloading car 01.jpg
    Unloading car 01.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Unloading car 02.jpg
    Unloading car 02.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 33

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
That is one fine car... I need to get something like that up here.
if you're serious, come on down...or this w116 on my driveway with a bad trans is going to go the way of many ford pickups when I get my mitts on her.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
That is one fine car... I need to get something like that up here.
She does look good from a distance ;) I can't wait until I have time to clean her up...

towcat said:
if you're serious, come on down...or this w116 on my driveway with a bad trans is going to go the way of many ford pickups when I get my mitts on her.
[vulture]
I thought that car got stripped and disappeared last year? Or is this a different one?
[/vulture]

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
[vulture]
I thought that car got stripped and disappeared last year? Or is this a different one?
[/vulture]
got yet another.;Sweet been out of business for two years now and still get hulls to pick clean :D

Meta6981

Reaction score
It does indeed look good little bit of TLC and it will shine. after we move this weekend i despretly need to wash vehicles. i might even be able to make a trip with all the supplies. Good find tim good find.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
got yet another.;Sweet been out of business for two years now and still get hulls to pick clean :D
;Sweet

If/when you kill this one, unless everything's spoken for already, let me know...I need to come up with a full laundry list of what this car needs, but I know I can have some fun ;) I know the a/c compressor's frozen solid, and the headlight bezel on the port side is broken (being held in place by strategically-placed duct tape at the moment), along with the wiring stuff.

Trevor, you're moving this weekend? That was fast...last I heard, you hadn't even found a place yet. I'm busy tomorrow through Sunday; otherwise, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Are you guys having AAA haul Seth's Corvair and Nate's pickup, or how's that being handled?

Michael, I fully suspect that you're correct, particularly with everything the 123 needs. As things stand, unless the 116 requires so much $$ as to not be worth it, I plan to run the 116 as a daily driver and give the 123 to my girlfriend. We'll see what happens, eh?

BTW, forgot to mention...mileage is unknown. The odometer reads 299K, but the PO replaced it at least once (in fact, the gauge cluster that's in there now gives U.S. measurements, and the speedo has a part number off an R107 roadster...so, I need to steal my mom's GPS and check, but the speedo reading's probably a mile off). The engine was replaced less than 50K ago with a junkyard engine that had 150K on it at the time. The engine is still an EGR-free setup, though, and someone tweaked with the ALDA...the one time I was able to drive it back in October, the car had a LOT of pickup for an OM617. I need to install a pyro before I kill something :shocked:

Also, best I can tell, the 116, 107, 123, and 126 share a differential casting...so I want to find a 2.47 rear end out of a 107 or a 126 at some point and put it in this car. A few people on the "other" Mercedes site have tried this on a 126, and the reported difference was amazing. Better fuel economy, similar acceleration, and much quieter on the highway ;Sweet

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
towcat said:
How can you tease a guy like that and still sleep at night? :backoff

But no really... now you got me thinking... how hard would it be to put a trans in it (or how much would it cost me?)
I am looking at about $200 to fly down to San Francisco, I would guess at about $200 in fuel to drive it back to the island, plus ferry and such... as long as it could make the drive all the way up here, you know I would be tempted...
I don't think my truck in it's current state could make the trip that far.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the po is the local mbz shop that I work for part time. its currently non-op'd so there is no back tags against it. a rebuilt trans at the trans shop I work for too would set me back roughly 1k. the bands have been adjusted to the point there is nothing to adjust anymore and I suspect the planetaries are shot. no morement whatsoever. just rev. I will take some pics this evening when I get back and post them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, for anyone who's interested, I slapped together a webpage real quick with some more pictures of the car. Take a look here.

BTW, I was told on another forum that using non-Mercedes wheels on a Mercedes car is a potentially major safety issue. As he said it,

Mercedes, unlike all other cars, during the 70s and through the 1990s, use a very high pressure "dynamic stress" compression fit between the wheel hub surface and the hub plate to achieve a monolithic structure once a wheel is properly bolted on. No other type of wheel is safe on one of our cars. Especially on a 300SD which has more front end weight than any other 116, you MUST not drive that wheel. Your shaking is almost certainly wheel flex or wobble due to the wheel bending or trying to break away.
Thoughts?

Meta6981

Reaction score
$$$$$$$$... but good to know that some one has an explination for why this might be happening any other updates on ur site man

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no other updates...and $$ shouldn't be a big concern if the wheels really are the only problem; I've got a set of bundt-cakes...I only need tires for them...

Meta6981

Reaction score
just got to lok at all the pictures was a little busy here for a few but Holy crap the interior of that car is super clean. I wish the seats in my car were that clean. If you do happen to get rid of it do you think i could snag a chair or 4 out of that :D :D . But WOW thats awsome i love the black too look really good with the silver. Car is fairly clean but it seem like mine the rear section of the car paint is faded too. i wonder why it happens like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.