need some quick help with INJ pumps

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI all, got me a opertunity to get a INJ pump cheap.... he swears its a 6.9/7.3 its mod #db2839-4541 is this a valid number for our IDI's???

jim

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds right. Check the Oregon Fuel Injection website to see if you see similar #s there. There are a lot of them, different part #s and almost any of them work but the 5.7, 6.2 and early 6.5s also used a mechanical DB2 with 8 outlets.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
It sounds right. Check the Oregon Fuel Injection website to see if you see similar #s there. There are a lot of them, different part #s and almost any of them work but the 5.7, 6.2 and early 6.5s also used a mechanical DB2 with 8 outlets.
And those spin backwards right?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm Im talking about 7.3 IDIs in my 91 F350... what are the 5.7 and 6.2s... arent thoes chevys????

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well not seeing it listed on the Oregon injector web site for either GM or ford IDI... hmmm now what... I know I had a post on this forum about "all injecor pumps being the same" but I cant find it. A nice guy put up a list of idi pumps

suv7734

Reaction score
4541 comes up as:

6.9L Diesel Pick-up & vans C-6 Automatic & 4-speed Manual, fits 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks "****** inspector"... I also placed an email to Oregon Injector to see if it will be compatable if its rebuilt.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd jump on it if its a runner...don't pay too much for it though. Never know how long those seals will last or what kind of heck he's put it through. I'd probably have to give away one of mine to avoid bad Karma. Yes Dwight the GM pumps spin backwards, or at least the opposite direction of a Ford. They share almost all components in common. I'm glad someone got you a definitive answer as there are many IDI pumps NOT listed at OFI's site but its the most complete set that I have found so far.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD... how does $20 plus $25 for shipping sound???? pretty cheap. I dont plan on putting in straight on the truck, it will be sent out for rebuild and calibrated "hopped up" for my new ATS pacakage comming soon...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
JD... how does $20 plus $25 for shipping sound???? pretty cheap. I dont plan on putting in straight on the truck, it will be sent out for rebuild and calibrated "hopped up" for my new ATS pacakage comming soon...
Woooo Hooooo.... the core charge at the local shop is $325 so yes $50 is cool if the shaft is not broken?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woooo Hooooo.... the core charge at the local shop is $325 so yes $50 is cool if the shaft is not broken?
Well he claims that its runable now, but I guess I wont really know about the shaft right, not without disassembly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jimraelee

If you dont have a pump shop yet I have a recommendation if you wish. Are you still planning on that turbo?? If so I need to order a new valve cover. the original is cracked and wont weld very nicely.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well he claims that its runable now, but I guess I wont really know about the shaft right, not without disassembly

When you get it you can put your finger over the middle hole and turn the cam it will make noise and kinda suck on your finger?LOL

Here is a good tip!!
cdnsarguy said:
I just ran across a TSB for the fuel system........ because so many IPs were being changed needlessly..........

Dated: 92-10-9 7.3 Engine Hard start lacks power- Fuel line air leak

In basic essence it states:

1 Disconnect hose and block the inlet to the lift pump.

2 Disconnect the "Tank return line" from the fitting at the left rear corner of the engine.

3 Attach a hand operated vacuum pump to the fitting at return line attachment point.

4 Apply a vacuum of 10 inches HG.

5 If the vacuum decay exceeds 1/2 inch HG in 15 minutes an air leak is present.

6. If there is no leak found on the engine, gotta do the same on the tank lines etc.

7. If an air leak is present test individual components one at a time.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's a great price for a core. I thought you were just going to toss it in the engine. What kind of work you gonna have done to that pump? You can get a real turbo cal pump made out of it by Mel Agne or by Ken from DPS. Otherwise the best that can be done is a good pump shop may bump up the governed RPM a couple hundred or so and you can max out the fuel screw. Either Ken or Mel will probably charge a bit more for parts and machining with a 6.9 core since a turbo cal pump needs .0031" plungers not the .0029" that the 6.9 pumps come with.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want more info on my deal, check out the Moose Pump add in the Marketplace (you'll have to search it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger