Need some body work advice

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the winter I hit a deer with my ranger and it caved in the core support on the drivers side. I bought a new core support for it but after seeing how much work it will take to change it I think I am going to try and straighten the bent one. Need some advice on how to go about doing it. The passenger side is still strait and I don't want to get it out of whack if I can help it. First time I have ever tried to tackle any body work.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
When i used to drive tow truck I had a very similar incident with my broncoII.
I backed roll back to the bronco. I lowered the deck to the bumper then used the J hooks to pull on the rad support, it worked quite well.It was like a mobile frame machine;Sweet

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park between two trees and chain the rear bumper to the one behind you. You can then use a come along and chain between the core support and the other tree to pull it back out.
It works like a charm and gives you more control than the simpler option of chaining the core support to a tree and backing up... though that can work as well if you are careful.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Park between two trees and chain the rear bumper to the one behind you. You can then use a come along and chain between the core support and the other tree to pull it back out.
It works like a charm and gives you more control than the simpler option of chaining the core support to a tree and backing up... though that can work as well if you are careful.

HeHe, Tie the chain around the tree, select the reverse gear, mash throttle petal through floor, hold, very quickly and swiftly release the clutch.

Or if you have the auto:puke:, select the N, mash trhottle through floor, hold, then select the R. :sly

If this method fails.......Get a bigger hammer

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically if I understand correctly I need to mimic the crash in reverse. LOL Guess I give the come along a shot. I don't care if its perfect I just need it strait enough to get the headlights and grill back on it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the grille with you while you work, so you can check your progress and don't be afraid to reset things several times to get your angles right. It doesn't hurt to have a heavy duty ratchet strap laying around in case you need to hook onto the ranger and change your angle slightly. I have one spot on the farm where I do this and it is a grove of 10-12 inch white oak trees where I have lots of options on trees so that I can get the right pull angle. The hardest part about that spot is getting the truck squeezed in between the trees.
I have straightened unibodies this way by chaining the car to a tree at the point of bend and hooking a come along to the front bumper pullling the opposite direction.
For the fine tuning, buy a large eyebolt, washer, and nut and thread it into existing holes in the core support. Then hook the come along to that. if you just use the chain hook on the come along the body panels tend to twist as they straighten.
My dad taught me to do body work this way. He said it was common growing up in Kentucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online