Need Some Advice on First Mods

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I was looking around at some of the sponsers sites & man, it's overwhelming the amount of stuff for these trucks. I'm used to only a few people carrying stuff for the IDI & fabbing something up if it wasn't available.

I don't plan to get crazy with the mods but would like to do an intake, exhaust, gauges, & a chip or programmer just to give the truck a little kick. No drag racing (maybe once to see what it'll do) or sled pulling, just towing once in a while. In addition to what I mentioned above, I have a problem with a couple injectors & may replace them all just to be done with it once & for all instead of toying around with them as they go bad.

I know it's personal preference for the most part, but what are you guys running in the areas mentioned above? What's the difference between a "spilt shot" & "single shot" injector. I don't want to have to redo the entire fuel system while upgrading or replacing the injectors, so what do I look for that will give a little more punch without changing everything?

The only thing not in my sig is that I have a 4R100 tranny. Will a chip or programmer firm up the shifts in that as well?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah Ha!!!

Let the mods begin. :D:D:D:D

Scott,

The difference between a split and a single is exactly what the name implies. A single shot delivers the entire 160 cc's of fuel in one shot and a split shot will give a small shot of fuel while the piston is still in its upstroke then deliver the rest near the top of the stroke. The later OBS and the SD's have split shots in them as was an attempt to get them to burn a little cleaner. It starts the cumbustion process just a hair sooner. Its also known as Pilot Injection.

If you are interested in injectors, singles are what most guys want to go to. Stg I and Stg II are pretty much the same (I assume you are looking at beans site?) in the amount of fuel they deliver and the amount of HPO they consume to operate. I believe the difference is in the injector nozzle. You shouldnt have to redo anything on the fuel system to run I's or II's. But before I went with the injectors I would do the intake and exhaust first.

A chip can firm up your shifts a little if the programmer burns it to raise your tranny pressure some but..... I would consider doing the sonnax tri-*** kit, it seems to be the best bang for the buck on firming up shifts and for about $50.00 and an hour during a tranny service you can have it in.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Correct you are. Bean's was were I spent most of the time looking. 94F450SD gave me that link in another thread. I also checked out Ken's site (DPS) & things looked compareable, but I could be wrong. I did read something on the Bean's site about an injector that lowered the demand from the HPOP or something to that effect.

I would like to ease into the mods but I think injectors are probably the first on the list. I've got 2 that are completely dead until the truck warms up, & some others that are at about 50% & #'s 1&7 are strong. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't have alot of time to let it warm up to op. temp & it really runs like chit. I have some money to play with but wasn't planning on dropping 1500.00-2000.00 right out of the gate!! I guess I could get by with 'em for a while but I like to get things done & out of the way.

What do you recommend for intakes & chips/programmers? Is bean's decent to work with?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFE makes a good intake and so does Tymar. I personally would do the Tymar from Beans (or from Dale direct) OR... make your own open element filter.

If you want to go AFE I wouldnt go with the Stg I, I think the Stg II is a better unit and the price reflects that.

Chips and programmers........... I would stay away from the downloaders like the SCMT or Diablo etc etc........ I think the Edge unit is decent as would be a SCT. Bean also has the DPTuner chip which I think is an absolute ass kicking chip, opt for a 4 or 5 position chip and youll be in love. You might want to wait on the chip until you make a decision on injectors though. You want the chip programmed to the size of your injectors.

Ryan is excellent to work with, very knowledgable, customer service and warranty is superb and he is an all around nice guy.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I'm not much help with autos :D but in addition to Mike and Rich's suggestions, intake/exh should be first and foremost ;Sweet

Jody at DP and twildman are both wizards at :smke: tunes :hail so your choice in either will be wise.

Go with straight pipe and gut/eliminate the kat and get a real down pipe!

Just about any sale section in the various diesel sites will net you a good exh system as many keep going bigger.
Gauges would be next before any program....besides knowing what you had before the programming, after the tunes you will need them!

HPX - high oil pressure crossover line will help too....it balances out the pulse caused by #7 and#8 firing in sequence.

Doing the CCV mod {re-routing the crankcase vapors to a cannister--similiar to the IDI RDT} will keep the oil mist from sliming up the intercooler and making you mess your shorts when one of the intercooler hoses blow off under high boost:eek: :D

We'll go esy on ya {and yer wallet:eek: :angel: } in the beginning LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check out my signature then check out the videos in my signature,then call bean with the credit card number for the card with the highest limit :D :D give beans a call,if hes not too busy he will chat your ear off ( YOU'VE BEEN WARNED :D ).tell ryan exactly what you want for power and he will set you up with a nice chip,injectors,gauges,intake and exhaust.i will not buy from anybody but beans unless i absolutely have to.the customer service and warranty from BDP is above and beyond excellent,couldnt get any better if he tried.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the input & showing me the way into "puter land. Gauges were first on the list but I just assumed that was a given. The injectors came up so quickly 'cause it's at the ferd stealership & they wanted to know what I wanted to do.

Gauges first then intake , maybe exhaust at the same time, & chip later or along with injectors.

It appears Bean's is the place to go so I will follow suit.

94 I didn't see any vids.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Another newbie question I guess, but what's the difference between stainless steel exhaust & aluminized steel exhaust? Aside from price that is. 4" pipe is 4" pipe (as long as it's mandrel bent) right. So what's the benefit of stainless other than for show?

Don't mean to be a pain, just trying to get up to speed with things.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the stainless wont rust or rot,the aluminized wont rust or rot as fast as plain steel.

pafixitman

Reaction score
SS is the actual metal. Think of alumanized as a coating on regular steel. Looks sorta like a galvanized coating. Depending on the price difference and how long you want to keep the exhaust or truck. I would venture to say around here you could get 5 years out of the alumanized with out an issue.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you anticipate keeping the truck +5 years? Does your regular travel include driving on salted roads?

Answer those two questions and you will have answered if you need SS or aluminized.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Stainless steel it is then. Called over to Bean's today & left a message. Also talked to the stealership & told them to leave the injectors alone. They want crazy money to do 2, much less all of them. Besides I think I can tackle them myself & save the labor. Not used to dealing with dealerships since I have the IDI!! I'm gonna try to live with the injectors the way they are throught the winter & deal with 'em in the spring. Wanted to get some gauges & an intake on the way though. The oil leak turned out to be the front crank seal. I really thought it was something on the top or back of the motor based on where it was leaking from but they put dye in it & ran it around & said that was the only thing they found. Hope they're right.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find working with Ryan is a pleasure. And as far as the injectors go, they are an easy install, matter of fact you should find 99% of the wrenching on the PSD to be easy. Its a totally different animal than the IDI but when you get down to it, its just nuts and bolts and wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle