Need Help

MattOzark

Reaction score
94 f350 Idi turbo diesel, acts like it is sucking air after driving up a steep hill on the highway. If i keep my foot in it it will just slow way down and act as if it has no power then will take back off just fine. If I don't keep my foot in it she will die then i have to bleed air out of the fuel system. It just started doing this this last week or so. Any ideas?

MattOzark

Reaction score
Does it no matter how much fuel is in the truck. I don't let her get below a 1/4 of a tank or it will suck air.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 85 there was a non-fuel rated section of rubber hose, installed by p.o. between selector and pump, that collapsed under acceleration...maybe something like that.
Good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the rubber hose from the frame rail to the mechanical lift pump found under the vacuum pump on any V belt engine Or under the alternator on any serpentine belt engine. That hose wears out from all the engine flexing in the frame.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the big advantages of the new barrier style fuel hoses is that they have tremendous hoop strength due to the construction. The tube is two layers of neoprene or nitrile with a thin extruded tubing later sandwiched between the rubber. People complain that it's not that flexible, but in reality you can put it in tighter bend areas as it doesn't collapse.

I wouldn't use the old thick walled fuel hose for anything anymore as the newer stuff is much better and lasts forever, even with newer fuels.

MattOzark

Reaction score
I wonder if the lift pump might be dead/weak leaving the IP to do the work?

I plan on installing a gauge at the inlet and outlet of the filter. I'm gonna start tracking down the problem monday. I had a big job i had to finish before I could strat working on her. Im gonna replace the fuel hose from the frame rail to the fuel pump too.

MattOzark

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel line that goes from the frame rail to the lift pump, it looked flatten out. Now the fuel filter light comes on and the problem till exists. Now though when she dies i can loosen off the fuel filter and she will fire up almost immediately. It sounds like the fuel filter has a vacuum pulled on it. Maybe it is supposed to but i figured with the fuel pump pushing through the filter it wouldn't. I'm headed to town to pick up some gauges.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Honestly it now sounds like the filter is dirty creating a vacuum in the after the filter fuel system. Thats the only reason the filter lite comes on. Its supposed to tell you the filter is dirty. Or at least there is a restriction somewhere in the fuel system. What was the last time you changed the fuel filter.

MattOzark

Reaction score
Alright. I put a gauge at the fuel filter and wasn't even registering. For $26 buck i went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and blew back through the fuel lines into each tank just to be safe. Got her started and she is running great. I drove her through the hills and had no issues.

icanfixall, I replaced the fuel filter first thing. Thank you Guys for all yalls help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem and got it fixed easily. What we really need is a fuel pressure gauge on the dash. Just having a "check fuel filter" light is not enough. A gauge would eliminate any guessing.