need help

kowboi73

Reaction score
guys,

Ok so some of you know that I bougth a 03 chevy gasser to drive back and forth to work. I kept my 7.3 for s & g's . well, my transmission went out today. I'm not much of a wrench man. What could be wrong with it?

First, I was at hwy speed and stepped on the clutch and shoved it in 5th, and heard a loud whining/grinding noise. I put the clutch back in and coasted to a stop. Then I put it in 2nd and tried to move. It moved good with no noise or noticable problems. I drove about 5 miles to friends house and then had no reverse gear. I decided to limp back home, by the time I got back home I almost had no forward gears either. Ihad to rev it up to 3000rpm to engage forward 1st/granny. Could I be low on tranny oil? or is it someting more serious.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am no ZF 5 expert (or expert on anything else), but I believe I have heard of them dropping a OD and reverse gear. Don't remember the particulars, but I have read something about it on this forum or at TDS. I would say jump on the search engine here and do a ZF 5 search.

kowboi73

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty serious. I've lost all gears. I occassionally hook up in 2nd, but only for a couple feet. other than that it is just a bunch of "grinding" noise. no vibration in stick.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
kowboi73 said:
I thought it was pretty serious. I've lost all gears. I occassionally hook up in 2nd, but only for a couple feet. other than that it is just a bunch of "grinding" noise. no vibration in stick.

So was it making noise before it happened or was it totally out of the blue?

Just gathering more info to feed my paranoid mind. cookoo

kowboi73

Reaction score
well, I never had any trouble with it until. well actually, the last time before this I was driving it and all of a sudden, I had like a hickup. I can't really explain it. It almost felt like I hit a big pot hole. but with no bump. I kind of lost power for maybe 1/2 second. before I could even look down at my gauges everything was fine. I looked in my rear view mirrors and didn't see anything layin in the road. I may have hit something, but didn't see it, it might have been mechanical. I was driving on the interstate at 60-65mph. If I had hit something I wouldn't be here right now. I don't know how else to explain it. The next time I drove it, all this stuff happened witht he tranny. Repair shop said it'd be over $2,000 to fix. I only paid $2200 for the truck. Can't see myself spendning the money to fix it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What about a dual mass flywheel failure? Sounds like maybe it might have come apart, but then again, I don't have one and have never experienced what that might be like, but it sure sounds like something let loose in the clutch area.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The price for the repairs seems a little high, maybe searching on evilbay and so will lower the price down to $1050 for a rebuild unit maybe. Also I would think the flyweel but you said that it does not vibrate or make noise at idle?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I think it could be a blown DMF. Take your inspection cover off the bell housing and shine a light in there while somebody puts the truck in gear with the engine running. You should rule that out first. Unless you've been very negligent in maintaining the ZF, I can't see it falling apart on you. Also, rule out the xfer case! More than one of those have failed here.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what you are describing I would not rule out the transfer case, but again when the T-case give problem as when mine did I had no problem pulling but when I let it coast or let the engine try to hold the truck like slowing down I would get a lot of grinding noise. I would almost bet it's your flywheel and that will be seen when you pull the inspection cover as parts will fall out. If in deed it is the flywheel you can do my Lucky Mod to the fly wheel for around $10 and save a bunch.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes