Need help with upgrades

dodge_is_diesel

Reaction score
I am a 17 year old student in high school. I have a job and have been working my tail off to raise money and recently bought a diesel pickup. It is a 2002 Dodge 2500 24 Valve 5-Speed Manual Tranny. The guy I bought it from gave me a TST Powermax 3 Box with it. I put an S&B intake in it. It is pretty fast and I love it. I want to upgrade the power level more. If I was to stack something with my PM3 it would have to deal with timing since the PM3 is just fueling right? What about a Smarty tuner or an edge EZ? Or maybe there is something completely different to do that would be better. Any help would be appreciated.

J.Keith

Reaction score
I would go with the Smarty. Lot's of adjustment and very easy to use.

The other things you'll need to do is upgrade is the fuel delivery system and possibly the turbo. And you'll be needing some gauges on that thing. Fuel pressure, pyrometer and boost are some good starters.

dodge_is_diesel

Reaction score
Thanks i think i will go with that then. Will that stack make it smoke a pretty good amount? Hope so because there is a 12 valve at school that is just awesome.

J.Keith

Reaction score
yes a Smarty will make it smoke like a ******* with that TST box.
For even more smoke you'll ned a set of injectors.

Just remember, it's VERY important to keep an eye on your fuel pressure.
This can save you an injection pump down the road.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and EGT....i have seen the tst box melt more pistons than not. i'd ditch the tst, get an edge comp, stacked with a smarty....4"downpipe with at least 4" all the way out.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
Fuel Pressure Guage! is a must! w/ the TST alone, if you go stacking anything w/ it you'll definately need to get one ASAP... and Like Holtzer said a Pyro would also be a good idea w/ the TST!

but I'm w/ 'em on this one... the Smarty is a really nice unit! put one on my 'OO and it sure livened it up!.... plenty!

set on #5 pull all the time w/ it, actually that's about all I do w/ it!........

dodge_is_diesel

Reaction score
Okay i will get a a fuel pressure gauge and pyro gauge first then. I didnt know that TST was dangerous like that with the pistons and all. I might get an edge comp in place of the tst then but i would have to find someone to buy it.

J.Keith

Reaction score
for the right price I may be your guy is you want to get rid of the TST.
I've been dying to try one with my setup:D :D

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the big thing with tst is it wont de-fuel if needed...as the edge (unless its turned to a drag box) will to an extend and not allow destruction so easy.

dodge_is_diesel

Reaction score
now is the tst going to melt the engine if i drive it normal or only if i punch it every time i accelerate? is the edge going to feel the same as the tst or will it feel less powerful? if i do decide to sell i will contact you first J. Keith.

J.Keith

Reaction score
Ahhh but the Smarty dosn't hurt the top end if you run a Drag Comp, Hot Juice or I'm told a TST.;Sweet

Most of the top end loss people feel is because they are floating the valves.
A simple set of high perf valve springs does WONDERS for your top end.
I LOVE the power my truck makes over 3 grand with the Smarty on it.

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got to test drive a Smarty from Bob wagner...

I had it stacked with my Edge Comp on 5x5 and level #8 on the Smarty. Well the net results are the stock clutch can'ty hold the massive power at all. It smokes like a freight train! It's wickedly powerful stack. But I heard the TST / Smarty combo fuels much better over the Edge Comp / Smarty.

But I've seen several guys running a Smarty stacked with TST, Comp, Juice, Etc... No problems. ;Sweet

02silversingle

Reaction score
this is a good post! I like to hear the opinions of people who are actually using these things!! Anyone else have anothe combination of stacked programs they have been using that they would reccomend or not? I know its old but with the newer stuff out just wanted to see if there are some news combinations out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7