need help with F-SUPERDUTY fuel issue

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got me a low mileage 88 f-superduty 460 5speed 4.56gears that has a 12000lb winch wrecker. My friend was the last owner and he had a junk yard and picked up cars daily. He never used fresh gas, he always drained the old gas in the cars. I got the truck and am trying to tune up. I have drained the old gas and changed the fuel filter on the frame and the rear tank has a new pump in it. What would be causing stalling or hesitation if have fresh gas and good spark? Air filter is alright, Im wondering if all of the smog stuff could be a issue? thanks for any help on this issue:confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
give it a full tune-up before going any further.
cap, rotor, plugs, and clean out the throttle body.
the kitty on the gasser 460s are a wear item. It was a routine of changing out the kitty ($750) before bringing it in for a smog.
once you get it running right and you don't have to deal with smog, go get yourself a timing chain set fora '71 460 motor and see what happens to your performance;Sweet problem is you won't pass smog. I have no idea where in TX you're at but there's no smog issues for my little podunk county:D

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck no longer has a cat on it. It has a manifold leak on the drivers side that looks like it will be a nightmare to change. plug wires look nearly new but havent checked all plugs. I was thinking it could be the fuel pump on the frame. I took the line loose in front of it and drained the tank and it took about 15min to pump out 7gallons of fuel. This seems a little slow to me considering its FI. am I wrong?:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and change out the fuel pump.
you are prolly going to have to do a exhaust manifold too. If the O2 sensors are still working, the values are still thrown by the exhaust manifold leak. I've had to replace the manifolds every few years on any 460's I've owned and just chalked it up to it being a emissions related fatality for the motor.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove truck today and it died on the side of the road. I put a new rail fuel pump on and it is pumping through new filter. I got in and nothing, would not start just turn over. I started looking and found the regulator, wondering if that could be part of the problem?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove truck today and it died on the side of the road. I put a new rail fuel pump on and it is pumping through new filter. I got in and nothing, would not start just turn over. I started looking and found the regulator, wondering if that could be part of the problem?
before you think regulator, what is your fuel pressure reading? there sould be a schrader valve to take a reading. also, make sure you have spark. the TFI modules are notorious for comitting suicide at the most inopportune times. One more thing is when you have the TFI modure off, check the hall effect sensor connector in the dist for desintergration on the insulator and slimy green death in the wires.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is that valve and were is it located? Im not much of a mechanic. Do you have pics of the items you are talking about or a site I can go to to see a diagram? Thanks for your help

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have spark. when I spray starting fluid in throttle body it starts right up then dies. I checked the box on the side of the dist and there is a little green residue but that must not have any thing to do with current problem. I found a valve that looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail and with the key on there seems to be very little pressure there. When I press in on it there is really no spray coming out, it just trickles out. If the fuel pressure regulator is bad and stays open it would cause the low pressure, right?:dunno

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have a lot more than a trickle of fuel out of the valve on the fuel rail. The in tank fuel pumps on all the EEC-IV Ford gassers are notorious for dying, the fact that you can light it with some fuel directly in the throttle body tells me your pump is shot or the screen on the pickup is clogged, which all makes sense considering the source of the previous fuel source. If you can find somebody with a fuel pressure gage you can confirm all of this.

Do yourself a big favor and do some research online and find out who's pump everybody with a Mustang or big block Ford is using and go buy one. It's been a little while since I did any research on a 2.3 turbo or 5.0, but I believe you should be looking for a Walbro pump. DO NOT buy an Autozone/KEM/Cheapo pump as I have seen many bad right out of the box and countless more that failed within a year of installation.

Good luck, sounds like a neat wrecker.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pump on the frame is new yesterday and the pump in the back tank is only suppose to be a couple months old. My friend that sold it to me said that there was not a sock on the line when he put the new pump on. So mabe the new pump it the tank is already stopped up. Its a hard place to get to with the way the bed is built on truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online