Need help w/ cyl misfire on a 95 PSD

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I recently joined up at the oilburners.net after giving up on the dieselstop.com- at the advice of a friend on here.

I recently bought a 95 superduty- saved it from being parted out. I finally got a new starter and a new set of batteries for it, and fired it up for the first time. It ran great. While it was running, I noticed the water pump pulley alignment was off with the harmonic balancer, so I took the belt off. The clutch hub (male) is walking off the impeller shaft??? I need to replace the water pump...but now the truck is misfiring. I know this sounds crazy, but could it be misfiring, due to the alternator not putting out enough amps to run the IDM?

I don't have a scan tool, and there's no check engine light on at the moment. Does anyone have a trouble shooting tree for locating a cylinder misfire? It's a dead miss. Thanks for the help.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
if both batteries are good then it should have plenty of power to run the IDM now to chase it down you can unplug the valve cover harness one at a time till you get the one that don't make much of a difference then you know what side its on and its one of the 2 injectors. Then you can take the valve cover off and watch it run and see which injector is not spouting out oil then thats your bad hole. It sounds like you could have a bad valve cover harness make sure you check out all your connections as you go looking for a burnt connector

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Is there a way to do a contunity test on the IDM harness where it plugs into the valve cover pigtail? I've noticed all four of the IDM leads running to the valve covers have been previously repaired. Is it possible for the harness that's inside the valve cover (the harness that plugs into the GP's and the injectors) To be damaged? Have you ever seen melted wires inside the valve cover, or perhaps a poor connection where the harness actually plugs into the injector?

Because the truck was running fine when the belt was on- I seriously doubt that I dropped an injector. I'm thinking that there's a bad connection somewhere, but other than the IDM harness plugging into the valve cover; I'm not sure where else to look. This problem is killing me, but I thank ya'll for the help/pointers. Honestly, I feel as if the batteries have enough combined amps to run both computers (they're new). I can't run it for long with the belt off, but at least long enough to unearth the problem. Thanks again.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
Is there a way to do a contunity test on the IDM harness where it plugs into the valve cover pigtail? I've noticed all four of the IDM leads running to the valve covers have been previously repaired. Is it possible for the harness that's inside the valve cover (the harness that plugs into the GP's and the injectors) To be damaged? Have you ever seen melted wires inside the valve cover, or perhaps a poor connection where the harness actually plugs into the injector?

if you said it was running finw with the belt on it, why don't you charge the batteries and put the belt back on as a test?

Personally, I'd guess a bad UVC/injector harness as well, but you created another problem by removing the alternator output. That needs to be remedied FIRST.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah when my batteries were going bad I had to jump start it a few times and it never ran different while the batteries were almost dead and fully charged batteries have more power then your alt puts out. Yes the harness inside the valve covers can be damaged my buddies was melted big time. I doubt just having the belt off could cause so much trouble but remember KISS (keep it simple stupid)throw the belt on and elimenate that from the equation before you tear everything else apart

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Well, I'm ashamed to say it- the truck was low on oil. It's got a leak where the dipstick tube threads onto the oil pan. I knew it was low, but not 3 quarts low! It turns out that the low volume of oil wasn't enough for the HPOP to open the injectors. I tried explaining this to some of my older friends, and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy!-Drool

Thanks for the help. :hail

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that'll do her every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes