Need help PLEASE!

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been trying to figure out my wiring issue with my taillights and I have gotten everything too work exept the brake lights, Whenever I push on the pedal it pops a fuse. In the rear there are 5 wires (left and right turn/hazard, running lights,Ground,and back up lights) Where do the brake lights feed into? I have looked at some wiring diagrams and they werent really much help, I wouuldnt think that the brake lights would run off the same wire as the turn signals because they would backfeed into each other(right and left turn I mean), I have been trying to figure this out for about three days now and I am stumped:confused: , anyone got any more info to throw my way, I would really appreciate it. Thanks -Brad-

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake light feed goes thru the turn signal switch then to the rear lights, when you turn one way it shuts off the brake signal to that light and it blinks. Unplug the turn signal connector and see if the fuse still pops, make sure someone didnt wire something to that side of the brake switch, trailer brake or some such, if the fuse doesnt blow then it is probaoly in the turn sig switch, if it was in the wiring it would blow when using the turns.
Hope this helps
russ

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If the harness's are all hacked up. Go to the salvage yard and pull some new harness's.

Also, make sure your getting good grounds.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input, unfortuatly it still pops fuses when the turn signal fuse is out? I am stumped?!?!!?!-Brad-

Last edited:

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it blows when the brake is pressed then the short would be at or after the brake light switch but before or at the turn signal switch/flasher. So the wire should go from the switch up the column to the turn signals, or does it go to the flasher relay. Either way this would be the next wire to check. What year is the wiring? Trace the wire and put an ohm meter on it. This problem is usually caused by somebody tapping this wire for trailer lights then later the wire is abandoned and grounded causing the short.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the truck when pulling a trailer, it had a + where it should be a - . It would happen every time I shift to reverse.

RedTruck

Reaction score
IIRC the rear wiring harness for the lights unplugs on the drivers side to allow easy box removal. Try Unplugging that and see if you can push the pedal /wo blowing a fuse. If you blow a fuse then it's between that connector and your fuse block. If you didn't blow a fuse it's in that rear wiring harness. With the rear wiring harness unhooked you can ohm everything out. I've had problems with that rear harness from time to time. It also the most likely to be hacked by people installing trailer lights.

Paul

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the info, I have it fixed now;Sweet . It was just as most of you told me, someone had tapped into a wire for the trailer and then left it where it could ground out, thanks again for the help.-Brad-