Need Help, No Boost on Factory Turbo Install

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Ok, I checked the tubing to the guage and found it to be ok. I did a longer test drive, where I was able to produce about 3-4 lbs of boost, so I believe make next step will be turn the fuel up about a quarter of a turn...

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was that 3-4@ WOT?? the factory turbos are good for 12-14 if you play with the wastegate! & of course you have to add heat so your on the right track

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my banks sidewinder non-wastegate gets 3-4 PSI when I'm getting on it, and in 4th gear cruising. Up to 5 if I really get on it and/or brake boost.

Not sure if I got a leak or what. I know theres a few exhaust leaks - can see the soot at the exhaust mani gaskets and such. I've heard up to 8 PSI out of these turbos though, unless pulling a decent load :dunno

Mine (Banks non-wastegated) does 8psi easy 10 pretty easy and up to 14 under certain conditions.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Up pipe leaks, and intake hat would be my first places to look. Make sure wastegqte is moving freely.

If you see soot on the up pipes, that will be a dead giveaway indicator of a leak.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Up pipe leaks, and intake hat would be my first places to look. Make sure wastegqte is moving freely.

If you see soot on the up pipes, that will be a dead giveaway indicator of a leak.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around all the pressure (cold side) side of the turbo, if the rpm's change, you got a leak there.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions....

I did turn up the fuel by one and a half flats and received a total of 5 lbs of boost from after engine reachs normal temp and running 65 mph. At WOT, no boost is present...

FordGuy100:
Question the wastegate is suppose to stay closed till the predetermined boost is reached and then it is suppose to open right? As far as I can tell it is moving freely...

Far as the up pipe, I'm going to take it back out and wrap it and thinking of doing the same with the collector.

**** Does anyone know the part number for the ATS/ Ford intake hat seal? *****

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I had a problem with no boost last instal. For me it was because the up pipe wasn't sealing the the cast iron piece that bolts to the passenger manifold. I found that you have to keep it loose at the turbo (don't tighten nuts) situate it onto that cast iron piece, and then tighten it down.

Turbo is in good condition with little side to side and in and out play correct?

And yes on the wastegate function. I doubt it's stuck open but I suppose it could happen

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
No side to side or up and down play. ADV, who I purchased it from checked it with a dial guage and stated that it had less than .01 on up and down. So I don't think that it is anything to do with the bearings....

Like you, I'm thinking that it is losing heat before it gets to the turbine.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** Does anyone know the part number for the ATS/ Ford intake hat seal? *****

Are you talking about the o-ring that is in the turbo side of the hat or the large o-ring that seals the hat to the intake manifold? If either one is bad or missing........there's your problem.

Heath

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to here you are having problems with the turbo I hope you get it working good for you. I still have the engine with the turbo injector pump if you think that would help. I am not a turbo guy so I am no help with the no boost sorry.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
ADV, I may need to check on doing that, my orginal pump took a dump and had to use the other one I had. Turned this one up all the way or think I did for a total of three flats and now making 6-7 lbs of boost.

FordGuy, Followed your advise, checked the up pipe; found where the up pipe and collector meets with a leak, cleaned it and did the aforemention fuel adjustment and had above results.

Quick question anyone, will a improper timed IP cause some of this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online