Need help getting to cold for this

fordman2488

Reaction score
I have a 1985 f-250 6.9. I have a heater core question/problem.
When this truck comes up to temp. get no heat or very little. The hose's are hot on both the supply and the return. I have not noticed any leaks but can't rule out one.I have some vanishing coolant, not a lot,
but still noticable.I back flushed the core so I know its clear. Bought the truck used so I am wondering if maybe its the wrong fan.. its the ford high output heater no AC ...I had to wire the vent door open last year because the wire that moved it broke....

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about freezing my tushkis off either. :(

First, check and see if your blend door is working. Remove your glove box and you'll be looking right at the lever assembly. There'll either be a cable or a vacuum servo motor hooked up to it. When you move the temp control on the heater control panel, that lever oughta move. If the cable's not moving, it's either broken or disconnected at the control panel. It it's a servo motor, you've either got a bad servo motor or a vacuum leak. Oh yeah, if it's a vacuum setup, you gotta have the engine running so that there's vacuum available.

fordman2488

Reaction score
Thanks Dave I will check that out because right now I know that the thing should be on full tilt boogy on heat because thats that I have wired open but never thought of the blend door

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Make sure that that wire moves the door the full amount of travel. I have had 7 customers in the last year bring me a truck with "no heat" only to find a pen/pencil/something holding the blend door part way open and the a/c was cooling the heat down (on brick nose up, the defrost kicks the a/c on)

punk

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the same vehicle I do - 85 longbed regular cab. If you need adjustment instructions, let me know. I'll copy them and email them to ya.

fordman2488

Reaction score
still not happening sadly got the dash apart and there is nothing in it ...........I think my truck is doing this just to **** with me

Black dawg

Reaction score
Make sure that that wire moves the door the full amount of travel. I have had 7 customers in the last year bring me a truck with "no heat" only to find a pen/pencil/something holding the blend door part way open and the a/c was cooling the heat down (on brick nose up, the defrost kicks the a/c on)

punk

Around here, we find things like saw files and ammo holding blend doors open. On one guys truck, about the third time, I started keeping the saw files.