Need help fast

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1992 F-250 with a 3.55 rear axle and a auto overdrive transmission. On Saturday I noticed the overdrive button on the shift column would not lock out the overdrive. I need to pull my gooseneck and a tractor 100 miles this week-end and don't want to burn up the transmission. Is there another way to lock-out the overdrive? Thanks Eason

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have a transmission temperature gauge on there? You don't NEED to tow in 3rd... it just helps keep the transmission cool. If you don't overheat it in 4th, then it's not going to hurt anything.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing your going to hurt is your wallet by locking out OD.you won't hurt her running in 4th gear towing just as long as she doesn't hunt back n forth between 3rd and od.which it won't do anyway if your tps is set correctly.

when you push the button,does the light turn on?
look to see if you have a blown fuse.don't recall right off which one it is,but even if it didn't blow the fuse,the wire may have chaffed through up in the steering column.you can repair/replace the wire if need be.
while i was in there,i put wire loom around this "fairly" rare (or common if your think so,but i don't read it happening too much) trouble area,so it doesn't happen to me.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
With the 3.55's, he will probably need 3rd a lot for towing a tractor. Otherwise im betting it will haunt back and fourth....
X2 about if the od light turns on and off as select the button..???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DUNNO...is there a fuse?...I don't do Auto's so I don't know.... LOL better start learning bout them....gotta find one soon for wifey for Bronco...make it a auto diesel....LOL

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light doesn't come on. If it was all flat I wouldn't worry, but I'm probably grossing 19000+ lbs. Thanks Eason

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will be better off with "not flat". It should hunt for the right gear less if its consistently under load. Shifting up to OD when you are going down the hill its not going to hurt anything but your brakes.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with that much weight,she'll pretty much just call for 3rd and 2nd on the hills.
if your running her under load,and it actually upshifts into od,you've got issues to contend with.
the auto trans will know how to work if all is functioning correctly.about the only time she'll be asking for OD is on the flats at speeds,or downhill.
you don't haul this kind of weight without trailer brakes,so having the auto in od downhill instead of 3rd isn't going to hurt anything either really.

your auto should never shift in OD on its own under a load (not to be confused with lockup) if it does,then your tps is most likely way out of spec.
the auto knows how to shift boys.iv purposely tried testing where the point is that makes the e40d behind the idi "hunt" between gears.iv done this many times,and i can't simulate a condition to purposely make me reach for the od cancel button to stop hunting.if she asks for 3rd,she should quickly enter 3rd and start pulling hard and never go back into od until shes well good and ready.there should be no issues with gear hunt.

Last edited:

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Yeah, at that weight you won't be in OD much. She's going to need some RPMs to keep that moving.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the button itself is bad, you can get a new one at parts stores.
mine was gummed up and crusty, and didn't work either. sprayed it with contact cleaner ( the flammable kind)
and it works like it should.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went to hook up the gooseneck tonight and the switch worked while it's in park. So I'm going to make sure I turn the O/D off while still in park. Hope it works. I also picked up a new switch at the Ford dealer today. Eason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance