NEED HELP ASAP! 93 Ford F150 I6 300

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, not havin a fantastic week, my clutch went out so now I am replacing it, I had someone come over last week and help me uninstall the transmission (5 Spd. M5OD) and he said he would come back over when I got the new clutch and flywheel back. well he never came back and I tried calling him and calling him and he wont return my phone calls . than I had someone else come over and attempt to help me and he made things somewhat better and worse he said we needed to change the pilot bearing so he got his pilot bearing remover and got some of the bearing out now that all remains is the outer race of the pilot bearing. he got tied up today. i think. unless is BS`n me and just don't wanna help. I am a full time student living at home with my mom here in Watertown, TN and I need some help putting in the new clutch. ive had over 6 people this week flake on me on getting this transmission reinstalled they said they'd come over and they either never do or have no idear on what the heck they are doing. im really trying to be PG-13 here and not using curse words. but i am so frustrated itl be a week sunday the 10'th of April. and still no one wants to help any help from TN sure would be appreciated even some words and advice on getting out the old pilot bearing. please be aware this has been the same pilot bearing and clutch from 1993.

thanks

Ken Klein/Fordman

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok. First, the pilot bearing race. This is what to do. Take a broom handle, cut it off to about a foot long and shave it down with a knife to JUST fit inside the crank hole where the pilot bearing is. Need it to be as TIGHT as pissible, but still slide inside the race about an inch or two.

Once this is done, fill the inside of the race and the cavity behind the pilot bearing FULL of grease...like COMPLETELY full.

Once you have it filled to the top with grease, put your new wooden broom handle tool (with the shaved end in first) into the pilot bearing race and SMASH the other end with a hammer. Keep filling with grease and smacking it with the hammer until the WHILE race comes out. This WILL work, just keep at it.

Does your clutch kit come with the alignment tool? If so, you have this beat!!

Install your new pilot bearings. I am pretty sure it just goes into teh crank until it's flush.

Bolt your flywheel (IF you have removed it) into position. It just bolts onto the end of the crank. Tighten the bolts down and use BLUE loctite. I am not sure on the specs, but go to about 40 ft. lbs. I will find specs for you, or try to so you don't break any bolts.

Once the flywheel is bolted on, clean it with brake cleaner and wipe it off with a clean rag. Now, the clutch alignment too l goes into the clutch disc (make sure it is goign in teh right way, the directions in thekit will make sure you don't put it in backwards) and you put that up against teh flywheel, it is held in place by the clutch alignment tool.

Then bolt the pressure plate up. Install all tbe bolts finger tight, and then tighten down afterwards. Blue loctite here as well, and I will look for torque specs again.

That is it. Your new clutch is installed.

How old is your slave cylinder? I would look at replacing this as well, as to change it you NEED to pull the transmission. It's nothing like an old 4 speed or what I have for a 5 speed on my diesel which are external.

The rest is just putting the transmission, the crossmember, rear transmission mount, the drive shaft (S) , and the center support bearing (if equiped).

If you have ANY more problems, just ask! we are more than happy to help.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I mean i have an idea on how to do it.. but as it comes to the pilot bearing. the grease trick wont work i can tell you that. if it wont come out with a pilot bearing puller that probably wont work....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You would be surprised. The pilot bearing grease truck is basically like using a hammer from teh back side. The grease can NOT compress, so the shock of teh hammer is carried through the grease and puts a hydraulic shock load on the back of the race. It's teh weakest point and it will come out. I have taken LOTS of them out like this.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the pilot bearing's outter race kind of slightly welded itself in there from over 15 years of hot cold hot cold...... if anyone has any suggestions please post or call me direct 615-697-9726

thanks

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the pilot bearing's outter race kind of slightly welded itself in there from over 15 years of hot cold hot cold...... if anyone has any suggestions please post or call me direct 615-697-9726

thanks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the grease trick will work.but do you have a dremel?or know somebody that does?if so stick a cut off wheel in it and slice the race.itll pop right out.or you can get a hammer and chisel and whack it till it splits.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a hold of a chisel better than I can a dremmel... So just stick the chisel in there and whack it? Won't hurt the crank shaft?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what i did with a flat head screwdriver and there is stress cracks leading away from the major crack on the bottom one.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 11

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I can PROMISE you that the grease trick will pop that lil ******* out.

I had a 1984 chevy S10 2.8 5 speed. Pilot bearing went bad in 2004.......20 years old!!!

I replaced the clutch, and did the grease trick on it. Had to fill it like 4 times....well, top it off.....but once I started to get mad, a couple smacks and out it came!!

Same thing as my 1996 F150 with the inline. That thing had 300 000 kilometers (186 *** miles) and as far as ALL the paperwork shoed by it's 1 previous owner...the pilot bearing was original. My and BigRigTech (another member local to me) popped it out with a broom handle, a cup of grease and a hammer. This was just last year....it was in there for 13 - 14 years.

Just humor me and give it a whack before you cause damage to the end of the crank. I am not trying to call you dumb or say that you don't knwo what you are doing...if I come off that way I really am sorry.

I just know what can go wrong and what it can cost...if you decide to takemy advice, or if you don't...good luck either way....and keep us posted!!

I miss my old 4.9. That thing was tough as nails. I think I am in a VERY elite group of people that managed to blow one up!! lol.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much more pounding do you think i should do to get it out?? its got stress cracks on the inside of it on the bottom hole?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't try and hit it back into the hole. You have broken any hold the rust had on it, it shouldn't be stuck anymore. Maybe try the puller again, or the grease trick to pop it out.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
youre not trying to beat it into the crank.you want it to crack into a couple pieces.once a chunk of it comes out the rest will pop right out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin