Need fast answer

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
IF my truck can handle it im going to go get a yard of gravel, but can my truck handle it, only going about a mile with it loaded. Will not be going up any hills, but will go doing down just a slight hill for about 50 yards. So hopefully my truck can handle a yard for a mile?

Isnt a yard a ton?

sassyrel

Reaction score
depends on--but me thinking its more than one ton------some more----:D

Ford02

Reaction score
A yard of dry topsoil ways between 2400 - 2800 lbs . Make 2 trips. You dont want to end up on the internet as one of those guys that tried to carry 10 sheets of plywood on a honda civic:rotflmao

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should handle it fine, just don't get crazy with it, yes its about a ton

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I had a 3000lb pallet of granite in the bed of my 90 when I had it. It really squated the ass end down but it handeled it just fine.
Ken

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I did it, all was fine. Went down the little hill good. The truck only squatted about an inch or so...What sucked was shoveling it all out. I got the stuff with mostly limestone and it was wet!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
FYI a yard is a measure of volume, not weight. therefore a yard of topsoil vs sandstone vs limestone vs concrete vs feathers will all weigh different.

that said, i have had a yard+ of a bunch of different types of stone on my F250s and never had a problem. i have had broken reaf leaf springs on both my former '86 F250 and my current '99, though i bought them both used with hitches in the bed (one FW one GN) so the problems may have been pre-existing. i ended up buying new springs for both and installing them.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
when i subcontracted doing chain link fencing it was a daily occurence to put 1.5 yards of navvy jack (gravel sand mix for hand mixing cement) and all the tools and pull a .25 yard cement mixing trailer also with the posts and fencing on roof racks all on a f-450 reg cab with a deck with no issues other than at the end of the day it felt like the truck had a 2"-3" lift because she squatted pretty good when loaded. so yeah i think your ok if your gentle and take the weight into consideration for stopping distance, cornering, and bumps, and if your tires have the appropiate weight class rating on them i have seen many people with 3/4 tons or 1 tons that are running inadequate tires for the weight they are carrying and than wonder why they fail prematurely and in most cases with dire costs.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put over 2 tons of gravel in my F250, carried it for a joke.....It's a Ford, not a Chevy....LOL

Reminds me of the Ford truck commercial several years ago of the pickup carrying the chevy pickup up the hill, now that was great;Sweet:thumbsup:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well like Rob said a yard is a measure of volume but a general rule is 1.5 ton per yard of sand or stone cause theres times when you have an area you want to gravel so you figure the volume of gravel and convert it to how many tons you need to order

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The easy way to unload gravel, is to get an old military tarp, and have it cut down to 8'x16', with a pocket in one end, with tie holes, for a cross rod.
Lay the other end over the tailgate, and up the bed. Roll the rest, and "hang" it on the box bulkhead.
To unload, either deadman the inboard end, and drive out from under it, or tie to another rig, and pull it out. Either way takes a little finesse. Getting crazy can make you unloader tarp a single use, two piece unit.