Need advise on front spring leveling and front frame ID

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck rides like a rock in the front, almost no travel at all. If you look at the pics the builder used a torch cut spring to level the truck in the front. I am looking for a leveling kit to replace that bottom cut spring, the kind you would use if you added a giant snow plow or something like that to the front. I noticed they usually add 2" of lift so I am hoping that will do the trick.

Also since I have a franken truck can anyone tell from these pics if this is a 77 or 86 frame and springs? The PO told me is was an 86 frame but with all the custom fab I see on the front x member to clear the oil pan I think they were mistaken.

Any advise on spring kit or brands to look at?

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4042.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4043.JPG
    IMG_4043.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4044.JPG
    IMG_4044.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 30

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks more like the 70's spring system. The 80's had the rear stationary and the front was on a hanger.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see whats there now? Its super ****. They are basically ghetto add a leafs. I was thinking about trying to buy just 4" lift springs for a 77 F350 but I haven't found anywhere that would sell just springs. I was hoping that removing the ghetto leaf and adding the add a leaf would keep the ride height the same but give it some flex.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always slap an RSK in there. Check out Deaver, Alcan, National or Atlas Spring for a custom pack. A lot of thin leafs will be progressive and travel great when you disconnect the trac-bar. I think National charges $700 for a pair. About the cost of decent springs.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think I can run an RSK, my rear shackle is integrated into the frame. My intent is not to lift, I like my ride height, just to get rid of that 3rd spring and replace it with 1 or 2 more smaller helper springs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always slap an RSK in there. Check out Deaver, Alcan, National or Atlas Spring for a custom pack. A lot of thin leafs will be progressive and travel great when you disconnect the trac-bar. I think National charges $700 for a pair. About the cost of decent springs.

This may not be 100% correct as the model of frame he has which is 79 and down...has a REVERSE SHACKLE setup already.

Notice the front of the spring is fixed and rear is what pivots?

That was the design back then...a REVERSE shackle arrangement.

IT's all based on spring design and shackle location and axle movement

For example a reverse arch spring with a RSK will actually move the axle forward upon compression, completely opposite to what it should be!

A flat spring is one that will ultimately provide the best ride...

A negative arch or smile arch spring will move the axle in a rearward direction when compressed as it was engineered to do.

Your frame is likely a 77 1/2 - 79 which was NOT a HI-Boy and had a flatter spring or reverse arch, AFAIR

It would likely be best to just get some springs made with subtle lift and spring rate you would be happy with.

Good luck with your project

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not be 100% correct as the model of frame he has which is 79 and down...has a REVERSE SHACKLE setup already.

Notice the front of the spring is fixed and rear is what pivots?

That was the design back then...a REVERSE shackle arrangement.

Good call. I don't get these pics on my phone and never really looked at a leaf sprung ford earlier than '80

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much did they charge you for springs? There is a spring shop here local but they want $600 to start and an unknown amount more to add or remove leafs to level the truck. Thats not in my budget. I am not even sure I could just order something anyway... the problem with my truck is since its a frankenstein of years and models I dont know what I have most of the time. I have established now its a 77 frame but what springs are those? They could be 77 or 86 from the IDI doner truck and all I know about that truck is it was a 86, dont know if it was 250 350 or superduty.

My other concern is it looks like the top two springs on my front are meant to be reverse arch and the 3rd spring added is holding them straight. They could be working against each-other making it super stiff.

I know my old 4wd F250 had a reverse arch, I guess I need to look at some 77-79 trucks and see what has straight or slight positive arch in the front with a 460 in it and maybe get a set of those. I am still trying to figure out if 80 - 96 springs are bolt ons to my 77. That would maybe tell me what I got and make it easier to find new springs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my old 4wd F250 had a reverse arch, I guess I need to look at some 77-79 trucks and see what has straight or slight positive arch in the front with a 460 in it and maybe get a set of those. I am still trying to figure out if 80 - 96 springs are bolt ons to my 77. That would maybe tell me what I got and make it easier to find new springs.

I have a set of yer springs out back with shackles on them and frame sections so I could keep shackles LOL

Also have some 90 1ton springs too.

I'll measure however I'm thinking they are a few inches different in length.

I'll try to get them out later today if that's ok and helpful.

Gotta love having stock and lots of it for various parts.

JM2CW

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what I have found online it seems there are 62-77 springs, 77.5-79 springs, 80-96 springs and superduty springs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online