Need advice on leaking injector '94 IDI

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On two of the injectors there is a slight "puddling" of fuel right on the hex nut one would turn to remove the injector. I can wipe it off with a rag while the engine is idling, but within 5 seconds the puddle returns. Only about one drop or so, but it has been doing it for a while because I can see that the Intake Manifold wells under those injectors are kind of juicy. How do I fix this? I couldn't find anything I can "tighten up" in order to fix this. The truck runs fine, but has an unknown service history. Thanks. Sincerely, Andy in Chicago.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an injector return line kit installed.Pretty easy to do your self.Kit cost around $35.Comes with new plastic caps,16 O rings for the injectors,The Cloth covered return line(Synthetic rubber inside),and clamps.To do the install you remove the Line clamps(the flat thingys) on the Metal lines,loosen the line nuts at the injectors(gotta use 2 wrenches on the #1 front passenger side due to the timing hicky.Remove the line then the timing hicky on this one),carefully move the lines away(don't bend them just flex them),pull the old return line caps and hoses as a assembly if you can.Use a dental pick or as I did a set of needle nose pliers to pull the old O rings off.Lube up the new O rings with Petrolium jelly or the likes.Now install the new O rings carefully.Top one first so you can just roll the next one over it onto the bottom groove.Again be careful not to cut them or nick them.Now use the old return line setup as a template and prebuild the new assembly on the bench and install it one bank at a time.The 94 setup has some T caps that usually doesn't come with the kit but doesn't matter.All it has to do is allow the fuel to be able to return to the original pickup points.Both banks be connected and have one line to the IP and one line to the rear fitting to return to the tank.It takes me about 2 hours to do one and I have fat hands and am lazy so I take my time!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As stated above. Its really an easy job but.... You must keep things really clean. Any dirt getting into the injectors will ruin them. I use surgical gloves because they are white and show up any dirt & then I change them as dirt shows on them. Also the hard line clamps need to be reinstalled when your done. They are really vibration dampners. These lines vibrate because of the injection pulse of fuel going thru them and will crack causing a mess. Don't ask why I know this. Its all part of the learning process I guess many years ago. But you get the information free. It cost me almost $400.00 at the dealer to repair...-cuss

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Fuel Injection Servicing article in our tech library. The link is in my sig. Covers how to do this.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just done the exact same thing, not to bad a job. The hardest part was to get the old ' O' rings out. When doing the pass side remove the glow plug rely to get more room for the back 2 injectors (disconnect batt's). The kit was from DIS $27.95 + ship, but does not have the 2 'T'S and the single cap. You can get from ford @ $18.00. Donot bend the injection lines, just "flex" out of the way. Lube the rings with diesel. When restarting DO NOT crank for to long, about 10 - 15 sec's.