Need A Daily Driver

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All... After 6 years of driving my Crew Cab idi's to work everyday I've finally swallowed my pride :dunno and realized I need a car to commute to work (50 miles a day). :rolleyes:

I was thinking of just a beater ****** for around $1000 but my wife has been texting me Craigslist ads for VW TDI diesel Passat's. I'm amazed at the MPG and I can still use my 20% WMO Diesel mix.

My question is are these good diesel cars? Are there any better diesel cars I should get? I do all my own work on my trucks so will I be able to work on these? The electronics I worry about.

I know nothing about diesel cars so any info is a plus for me.

Also I have no idea on the worth of these cars. Whats good mileage and cost?

Heres one I was looking at:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3700620426.html

Thanks....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If the rust is minimal and it has good service records, thats a darn nice price. I have seen 150K mile B4 Passats go for around $5-6K in really good condition.

They are fairly reliable (they are getting older now) but a lot of people like that year TDI Passat. I would drive one in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 TDI Jetta. It's been a really good car. It is the PD engine (the one known for the camshaft issues), but it has 140K miles, and from what I read if you've made it this far, just keep using good oil and you're in the clear. The dealer we bought it from did the timing belt at 133K and a DMF at the same time. However they managed to mess their job up, and long story short we had to rebuild the DSG to a tune of about 4K.

But really, it's a fantastic car. Far higher quality than anything you'll buy from the big-3. Awesome fuel mileage and a great suspension. Oh, and with a mild tune the things will flat out GO. Nothing like letting a ***** in a new yellow Camaro convertible eat a little coal on the interstate.

Edited to add: I'd be super leary about running WMO in a TDI...especially a newer one, but i have no firsthand knowledge on this. I run anything and everything in the old IDI, but the TDI gets #2 Diesel from the best station in town.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Hey Nick, 2 words,....BUY IT!

That is a great deal on that car, We just sold the same car out of our shop that had some minor rust, 240K on the miles, but was Mechanically Perfect, It sold for $4K, No Problem.

I drive the Exact Same Car, Love it! You cant beat it for a commuter car, Mine has 285K on it and I would not sell it for under 4500, It has no rust.

go to the bank, get cash, offer him $3k, and drive it home for $3200!

Just my .02,..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you missed out on that car, but keep looking...the TDI's are great cars ;Sweet I've had mine for just under two years now and couldn't be happier. I didn't want to mess with the PD engine, so I bought an '01 ALH. If it's at all possible, I'd suggest going for a 5 speed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7