NAPA Echlin Ignition vs Motorcraft Glow plug relay comparison - with pics

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While trying to figure out my glow plugs I went with the NAPA one to start, cause I could get it that day. Long story short I was able to wait for the motorcraft to show up to install OEM instead

I would not suggest the Echlin Ignition brand one. From the pics you can tell that the wiring on the Motocraft one is of higher quality but they look around the same. The thermal resistor strip on the motorcraft also has much more uniform bends in it, with less marring on it from being bent.
You must be registered for see images attach

The BIG difference is the weight. I will update this post once I find my scale, but the Echlin brand relay weighs maybe 2/3 that of the motorcraft one.

All the weight is in the solenoid, which to me means the motorcraft one is made with better contact materials and NOT built to satisfy a low price point.

here are more pics, please chime in with your experience!

I have quickly become a believer in Motorcraft or bust on these trucks

Also, I figured you guys would like my shelving !

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then there’s the CDD relay which weighs just as much as those dinky relays and controller combined.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like a White-Rodgers industrial contactor 586-902? Silver contacts. Just like they were made before the highly-paid men of the suit and tie take over a company.

I understand the Eichlin contacts are aluminum. Cost cut for the corporate shakers of the hand, more problems for us.

Once some companies get too big, the shakers of the hand will sell out the trust everyone else had for the brand, for a quick retirement bonus . It is just the way it is.

It only takes one if these jokers, in a power position, to take an entire corporation down

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like a White-Rodgers industrial contactor 586-902? Silver contacts. Just like they were made before the highly-paid men of the suit and tie take over a company.

I understand the Eichlin contacts are aluminum. Cost cut for the corporate shakers of the hand, more problems for us.

Once some companies get too big, the shakers of the hand will sell out the trust everyone else had for the brand, for a quick retirement bonus . It is just the way it is.

It only takes one if these jokers, in a power position, to take an entire corporation down
That’s it, 600 amp inrush rating :Thumbs Up

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then there’s the CDD relay which weighs just as much as those dinky relays and controller combined.

Hmmmmm; I wonder if you removed the cardboard under the scale platform?

Do you know what the pull-in and hold currents for the OE and the WR relays are?

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They draw about 1 amp coil current too, and I understand, they are good for continuous operation without coil overheat. Should you need it.

The Eichlins draw about 4 amps coil current. And will get hot if on for more than a few seconds. But then, that's a trade-off. Aluminum contacts might weld, for the same reason aluminum was a disaster in wiring houses. You might need that extra impact to break it loose.

I've designed that White-Rodgers contactor into a lot of my things.

Glad to see you offering them.

They are not cheap parts... I pay about $90 each... My cost. But it's well spent. The cost of a failure is far higher.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here they are on my big scale that does .5 lbs increments, other scale has had the cardboard removed and zerod out each time. I pay about $105 shipped per unit with the hardware, the kit I sell them with is $185 shipped with wiring to replace every stitch of factory glow plug wiring but guys still complain my prices are high :( I think $85 for 48ft of handmade harness is very fair..

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here they are on my big scale that does .5 lbs increments, other scale has had the cardboard removed and zerod out each time. I pay about $105 shipped per unit with the hardware, the kit I sell them with is $185 shipped with wiring to replace every stitch of factory glow plug wiring but guys still complain my prices are high :( I think $85 for 48ft of handmade harness is very fair..
That’s fair price. People never take into account a mans time. Probably takes a few hours to make a nice harness so they expect what, you to charge $5/hr?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s fair price. People never take into account a mans time. Probably takes a few hours to make a nice harness so they expect what, you to charge $5/hr?
Well that’s pretty close to what it probably comes out to, I usually make five at a time which takes me about 12 hours, but I can answer the phone while building them and it’s not back breaking work. 5x185 is $925 for five sets. $525 of that is the relays, $175 is connectors, fusible links, fuse taps and terminals, $50 is in the raw wiring, and packing supplies and shipping costs would be $50-75. That’s about $125-100 to cover my labor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little cool dude is actually a brother with a big age gap. He’s really into his guitar stuff right now, not very driven to do wiring for hours on end. I’m fine with the prices where they’re at, my hope is the glow plug harnesses can be an entry level product to get people onto the website, and comfortable purchasing from me so hopefully they will look me back up for when the time comes to get a pump or turbo rebuilt, and that the harnesses cure a big problem with these trucks so maybe more guys are inclined to keep them around and keep driving them.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are so right, Wes, on the time it takes just to find, organize, assemble, kit, and ship. Economies of scale.

What you ask sounds very reasonable to me. You are not reselling the cheap stuff. You got the best you could find.

I have faced similar situations, and simply wanted the best overall design, not something I'm gonna have to do again because it broke.

Incidentally, I overlooked shipping on my contactors...I got nailed right at $20 shipping on that last contactor I got...puts you a tad ahead of me in finding the best delivered price.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not reselling the cheap stuff. You got the best you could find.

Which will cost him the cheapskates, but also makes him one of the few people we trust to give us quality parts that are actually WORTH buying. I'm definitely cheap when I can be, but some things are worth doing right the first time.

@Thewespaul

Wes, Did I read correctly that the parts in your harnesses are actually all American produced? That adds to the cost too, but it feeds that local union factory worker with three kids at home.

Last edited: