Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Does kind of look like a t18,but most importantly,is it a 4 or 5 speed tranny?The f450 super duty was only available with a zf5 or auto.
Also,in your last post,I didn't know you meant the GVWR is 14,500.It came across like the truck itself weighs that.

Rock

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Actually since that has the tail shaft parking break,it is basically a 4x4 tranny.

Rock

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once converted.
As is it is a 2x4 (in my first post) but yea the aft housing and tailshaft swaps out for 4x4 right?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Does kind of look like a t18,but most importantly,is it a 4 or 5 speed tranny?The f450 super duty was only available with a zf5 or auto.
Also,in your last post,I didn't know you meant the GVWR is 14,500.It came across like the truck itself weighs that.
I dumno what i was thinking it cant weigh that much?..but yea thats what i said cause thats what I read cause im dumb like that sometimes.

Rock

Jbone36

Reaction score
Once converted.
As is it is a 2x4 (in my first post) but yea the aft housing and tailshaft swaps out for 4x4 right?
Thats what I was hoping someone would say because i read that somewhere about the tail and brake.. 88 superduty behind a 7.3 idi idi ..what would take to get this one swapped in for my e40d?

Jbone36

Reaction score
What i mean is if i get a ZF5 transfer case will this bolt up and replace my e40d? Or am i missing something

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the transfer case will bolt in place of the parking brake unit. Then the whole shebang can be swapped for an e4od. The xfer linkages might have some differences between e4od and zf but otherwise it should work fine.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Pretty much the transfer case will bolt in place of the parking brake unit. Then the whole shebang can be swapped for an e4od. The xfer linkages might have some differences between e4od and zf but otherwise it should work fine.
:peelout:rock::thanks::thumbsup: now were talkin..funny this has been there sitting in my buddies yard 300 ft from my ambulance for three years and reading this board and all yalls help i decided to take a look under that old truck...an hour ago I was shopping for 4wd ZF5 and let me tell you they are scarce, never found one and if i could yall just save me like 2k..ill be going to get the other truck tomorrow with the ZF5 2wd for the pedals crossmeber steering etc.. 100 mile tow
Im stoked to finally get this done!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's fairly easy to tell that it's a ZF5. It has an integrated bellhousing while the four speeds used in these truck had a removable bellhousing.
Jbone, looking at your picture from the back, major companenets are u-joint, parking brake drum (the round piece), and the brake cable. Right in front of the brake cable, there are 6 bolts. Only remove these 6 bolts to remove the parking brake assembly from the transmission. These are also what holds your transfer case the the transmission.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Love the smell of "newley found ambition" in thee morming. ..
Im still pumped just
It's fairly easy to tell that it's a ZF5. It has an integrated bellhousing while the four speeds used in these truck had a removable bellhousing.
Jbone, looking at your picture from the back, major companenets are u-joint, parking brake drum (the round piece), and the brake cable. Right in front of the brake cable, there are 6 bolts. Only remove these 6 bolts to remove the parking brake assembly from the transmission. These are also what holds your transfer case the the transmission.
Cool thanks..from researching im thinking this isnt going to be as bad as i think..im hoping the 88 crossmember will work in the 92 im shopping parts now but cant think of any im missing really minus pedal assembly,master and slave cylinder and possibly pcm or ecm..im looking into the most durable clutch i can find as well but it seems tat the whole project seems a bit too plug and play?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
im hoping the 88 crossmember will work in the 92 im shopping parts now but cant think of any im missing really minus pedal assembly,master and slave cylinder and possibly pcm or ecm..im looking into the most durable clutch i can find as well but it seems tat the whole project seems a bit too plug and play?
If worst comes to worst on the crossmembers, you can drill some new holes or slot some holes out a little bit. Although the pedal assemblies are body style specific, I think that the master/slave combos are fairly universal. Your best bet with those may be to buy a new, prefilled/bled set. The next time that I have to replace either, hat's the way that I'm going. Trying to bleed the clutch is a major PITA to say the least. Other than with an E4OD, there's no ecm or pcm used with an IDI. Both of those terms are wrong. It's actually a tcm since all it controls is the transmission. Since you're going with a ZF5, you don't need a computer of any kind. One of the beautiful things about these trucks is the fact that most of the drivtrain parts are pretty easy to swap around. For instance, I put a 6.9/ZF5 combo in my 1986 Bronco almost 10 years back. I did have to drill some holes, but the only welding that I had to do was to replace the factory welds that I had to cut in order to swap the engine crossmembers. Most of the holes were to mount the spring perches for the 3/4 ton axles that I used. I told a couple of naysayers that it would basically be a bolt in job and I proved myself right.

scott westley

Reaction score
good score on the transmision.make sure if you are thinking of using pedals from donor truck
the pedal mount under dash is same as yours.Ford used several different styles .the pedals
will work but the mounting bracket piece varies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online