Name That Scary Sound

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I'm up in Tn right now... I pulled my bass boat up here and after I got in a traffic jam in Atlanta :mad: i let the old gal rip after i got through it and i ran it about 2-3 hrs straight with 900-1000deg. egt's and about 15lbs of boost.. not bad but pretty hot in my opinion

when i got just about here and reached monteagle mountain (7-9% grade) i goosed it in one of the straight shots for giggles.... here is where the noise came.. as soon as i got the pedal to the floor it let out a noise that sounded like, or the closest i can describe it, someone dragging their fingers down a chalkboard, i let out of it immediately (the woman said "that didn't sound good") i took it easy on it for the remaining 30 miles and it never made the noise again and seems to be running fine now

my water pump is leaking but she has plenty of coolant and i don't think it was a belt.. i think it came from the turbo :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bummer, i'm thinking i might get a BB turbo before i wanted to buy one -cuss

oh by the way the fishing is off the chain on lake normady!!! the large mouth are biting anything you put in the water :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
oh by the way the fishing is off the chain on lake normady!!! the large mouth are biting anything you put in the water :thumbsup:

Lets get one thing straight right off here........ you suck ;Sweet

Now onto business, what was your boost when you heard the screech? I doubt you stalled the turbo, you'lda had to been over 40 pounds I would think.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
the boost was approximately 25lbs thats about all a can work up with my evo on the race setting and the wastegate still operational..

the only other thing i could think up was maybe i have a boost leak that made the noise??? is that possible?

Lets get one thing straight right off here........ you suck

LOL i didn't catch a real good wall hanger but if i had my camera in the boat yall would have really been hating me LOL i haven't been in a mess of them that good in a long time

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
the only other thing i could think up was maybe i have a boost leak that made the noise??? is that possible?

Thats a very strong possibility, there was a thread started in this forum several months back by either KentuckyDiesel or MoreMPH talking about leaking intakes. Now, the intakes on their (and mine) trucks are the "old" 8 bolt style, yours should be the 10 bolt style I believe and IH went to those to eliminate the leaking intake syndrome. Anyways, there was a homemade boost simulator that one of the guys made out of some sewer pipe fittings and it slips into the turbo suction and you pressure it up with your air compressor to put "boost" pressure on the intakes, then dust the engine with baby powder, you'll find your leak.........

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HERE is the other thread I was talking about. Also, make sure your intercooler boots are all tight as well.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
you might have blown off an intercooler boot, that would be my first guess. If you blew your turbo, you'd feel it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
you might have blown off an intercooler boot, that would be my first guess. If you blew your turbo, you'd feel it.

That would be my first guess as well.....especially if you haven't done the CCV mod and with oil film and mist in the IC -tubes-boots.......from all that slow speed traffic, when you showerd down you got a leak whistle :eek:

mebee a IC cleaning is in order along wwith turning the CCV on the left rocker cover around so the vent is facing the fire wall and running a draft tube either to atmosphere or a seperator, then plugging the turbo cold air elbow.

Keep us posted................

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
well back in ga now... made it ok, i checked out my boots before i left and they look nasty, i usually clean my engine everytime i change the oil with purple power so it is normally pretty clean.. not the case this time especially with the boots going into the intakes down in the valley they look nasty... i'm going to clean them up and makes sure they are all tight.... and most likely do the CCV mod and see if the oil mess comes back, if it does guess i'm going to put some new boots on it

i have to give the ford warranty engineers credit though up untill 100K I had one issue with the IDM/injector harness but for the most part it ran like a top.. but in the lask 8k my fuel pump is doing something funny, water pump is going south, and now this mystery noise that i hope is just a boost leak!!

thanks fellas!!