NA IDI Towing Test

Enginerd

Reaction score
Well it did great! That's one beast of a backhoe. I actually did the low range up to 4th, slowed near the top of the hill to about 15 and was able to get it back to high range. It gave some noise but went. I don't think I would recommend doing that except in circumstances like pulling 33,000 pounds and a 40 ft trailer across traffic onto a narrow highway...
Anyways. I was very impressed with how well the truck towed. I ran it on the governor the whole 12 miles pretty much. Came out of the turns and made the little inclines with good power. Sounded so good too. I averaged between 35 and 40 just because all the curves, but I have no doubt I could have run 60 or more with no problem. It actually got up to speed much quicker than I thought. I got super lucky and even hit the only light when it was green.
I'd like to put together a video tomorrow or Saturday and post it to YouTube. This Detroit is LOUD LOUD LOUD

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it did great! That's one beast of a backhoe. I actually did the low range up to 4th, slowed near the top of the hill to about 15 and was able to get it back to high range. It gave some noise but went. I don't think I would recommend doing that except in circumstances like pulling 33,000 pounds and a 40 ft trailer across traffic onto a narrow highway...
Anyways. I was very impressed with how well the truck towed. I ran it on the governor the whole 12 miles pretty much. Came out of the turns and made the little inclines with good power. Sounded so good too. I averaged between 35 and 40 just because all the curves, but I have no doubt I could have run 60 or more with no problem. It actually got up to speed much quicker than I thought. I got super lucky and even hit the only light when it was green.
I'd like to put together a video tomorrow or Saturday and post it to YouTube. This Detroit is LOUD LOUD LOUD
The beauty of these old dinosaurs is that, from my experience, the harder you work them the happier they are!

Blue94

Reaction score
My 94 NA single wheel CCLB 4wd in the sig weighs at around 7k +/- 50 lbs everytime. 33k gross is a heck of a load. The heaviest I have ever been was 22.5k gross hauling a 30' grain bin 100 miles to the house. I could feel the heat off of the transmission tunnel, I have 2 cummins trucks with nv4500s in them, I definitely prefer the manual transmission for towing. I love the old idi power plant tho. Glad you made it safe.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to that video!!!

Enginerd

Reaction score
Looking forward to that video!!!
Haha I'll have it done soon enough! I've been trying to make a good clean video. Had to get some videos from my wife, dad's, and friend's phones to compile with mine.
It's coming! In the meanwhile, you can listen to the Cherry Bomb Salute muffler (dual 2.5" in, 3" out, with 3.5" tip) as I pulled the trailer back to the kind friend that let me borrow it. Grossing 17,000 pounds (based on what I found for the trailer weight online) with truck and 40' gooseneck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Enginerd

Reaction score
My 94 NA single wheel CCLB 4wd in the sig weighs at around 7k +/- 50 lbs everytime. 33k gross is a heck of a load. The heaviest I have ever been was 22.5k gross hauling a 30' grain bin 100 miles to the house. I could feel the heat off of the transmission tunnel, I have 2 cummins trucks with nv4500s in them, I definitely prefer the manual transmission for towing. I love the old idi power plant tho. Glad you made it safe.

If your truck is 7k, mine should pretty much be 7k. I haven't built boxes into my flatbed (yet), and it's srw. Plus I should be 100 pounds lighter with the zf5 vs e4od.
Everything stayed cool! Peak temps were 195 on the coolant and I let it hit 1,000 on the EGTs once coming out of a turn. One day I'll have an oil temp gauge too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online