Mystery fuel leak

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I redid my injector caps and still have something leaking around #1 injector. It's not the cap, thought it might be the filter or the Schrader valve. Replaced the valve core and swapped out the filter, no dice.

Could the injector be leaking inside the bore? I have had the injectors out recently. I don't see any fuel higher up that would indicate a line leaking or a cap leaking, but the space the glow plug sits in is wet with fuel after a 10min drive. The injector threads looked like they could be damp, but I really can't tell where it's leaking from.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had one leak from the threads before the body of the injector was bad. Just dry everything off and leave it idle for ten minutes and see if it comes from that injector. If it does you can swap it with another one and see where the leak follows.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just dry everything off and leave it idle for ten minutes and see if it comes from that injector. If it does you can swap it with another one and see where the leak follows.

I've tried that, haven't been able to figure it out but I'll give it another shot.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always put a paper towel over the injector and zip tie it there and see if it gets wet or if the fuel ends up at the glow plug hole on it's own.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i had a leak that was driving me a little crazy at one point. it turned out to be the adapter on the #1 line. somehow the adapter had what looked like a scratch on the sealing surface where the line goes into the injector. not much but it was enough of an impression/imperfection that it leaked under injector line pressure until i replaced the adapter.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a leak that was driving me a little crazy at one point. it turned out to be the adapter on the #1 line. somehow the adapter had what looked like a scratch on the sealing surface where the line goes into the injector. not much but it was enough of an impression/imperfection that it leaked under injector line pressure until i replaced the adapter.

I had considered something like that. I don't see any fuel on top of the cap, but I can try swapping it out before pulling the injector. I should have a spare here somewhere.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled that injector off Saturday and noticed I was able to tighten the body a little more. So I took it apart, cleaned everything liberally, and put it back together with meticulous care and reinstalled it with new o-rings as well. After that I went and picked up my 5th wheel and didn't notice the overwhelming fuel smell on the way home. I forgot to check it when I got home, but it looks dry today. I'm thinking I finally got it sorted. I'll update if that changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online