My zf haz no shift

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This happened about 15 miles from home with a 16 foot trailer in tow, I was able to drive it back home with no clutch whatsoever.. I've already ordered a new one just have to wait on it to get here.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Wow dude! That's crazy... I haven't seen one of these break before. Must have been weak or someone was being Arnold Schwarzenegger on the clutch :rotflmao

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just say I've had alot of fun with it since the zf swap, And even more fun after the truetrac install. It hasn't had an easy life. I had noticed it getting hard to get into gear at times, So I believe it was bent for some time before it gave up. You play you pay I suppose.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just say I've had alot of fun with it since the zf swap, And even more fun after the truetrac install. It hasn't had an easy life. I had noticed it getting hard to get into gear at times, So I believe it was bent for some time before it gave up. You play you pay I suppose.

no "supposing" about it!!!
you gotta pay if ya wanna play!

thats some nice carnage!!
thankfully thats all it was...
you going to replace throwout bearing while youre there?

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fork came out without pulling the trans, I'm assuming the new one will slide back in.. All clutch components are fairly new so I'm not pulling the trans If I don't have too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never been able to install one
while getting the pivot ball ears in place and getting it to ride in the throwout bearing.
i would throughly inspect the pivot ball like jasper said.
let us know how the instal goes!

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pivot ball looks fine and shows very minimal wear, I myself was expecting it to be eat up.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, I been wrenching for too long. Did the entire zf swap myself and the truetrac and tons of other crap I felt I needed to spend money on. Love my old truck though, it's sure been good to me.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to pull the fork out of my '85 again and have another look. IIRC, mine had the same crack as the OPs, and yes, the PO welded (not just JB-weld) it. Maybe I should pull the trigger on a replacement....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SIMPLY, not a part i would weld.
maybe if youre in a bind.
but i wouldnt trust a welded clutch fork.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's often due to no lube on input shaft sleeve the TO slides on, this is not an easy to lube location either but now you can slide a hand up in there and get some good synthetic grease on it and hope that prevents another failure.

Good luck.