my trusty rusty chevy

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well My 01 silverado has a v6 the 4.3L its a good engine but most have problems with intake gaskets as does mine. So should I put new intake gaskets in and drive it til it goes cause I do have a big sludge problem. Should I spend money now and fix it or just save up money for a 5.3 engine and harness and hopefully my trans won't go out on me? Any help would be appreciated.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no there is no coolant in the oil I have had the truck 40k miles and the engine sat since it was just put in at 121k i mean I change it every 3500 and the sludge is so bad when i draing the oil i have to use a screw driver to poke at it

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, havent seen that on any of our low mile GM motors. 4.3L's are tough engines, maybe try flushing with a 50/50 mix of diesel/oil and run it for a few minutes. After that give it a shot of auto rx.

As far as a replacement engine I'd look for a 6.0L and 4L80 from a 2wd 3/4 ton. Alot more power potential, same size block, tranny harness is the only difference, and that tranny is alot tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online