My Trucks First Trip Observations

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Well I did it I loaded it up hooked ot the TT (7000 lbs) and headed the 200 Miles to Richmond for the race over the weekend.

Things seem ok. 10 MPG about not 100% on this but thats what it looked like.

Hills oh my what a drop off..... I found out I needed to hang in 4th gear alot of the time.. esp on hills even smaller ones.

The trip form PA to Va seems to be all uphill there and then uphill on the way back as well !!!

Anyways the truck made it but I said the entire time to the wife I think a turbo would help a bit. We mostly went about 60 - 65 and one or 2 times I had a nice 70 roll going and could cruise in 5th a bit as long as there wasn't any long pulls to deal with.

Temp climbed to the "R" in normal and pretty much went from there back to the "N" so it seems ok to me.

Ride was pretty confortable and was very uneventful.

Finally broke down WEd and bought that stupid RABS Valve and now my ABS light does not come on and the rear does not seem to want to lock the brakes unless i really stomp on them hard.

Wired in my brake controller and It's working great after a few miles of adjustments. Still play with it a bit as it's a olde rone and just have to figure it out to make sure everythign is set right but once I got it close i loved it no worry about stopping or the ass end of the truck lifting off the ground when i had to stop.

Have a few issues tho.

I had to switch my my trailer connection on the truck to match my trailer. I am not new to wiring and such so maybe someone can shead some light here..

I refered to the wiring diagram and the existing connector from FORD that was on the truck.. I matched these with the new connector i had and the trailer wiring diagram..

Turn Signals ..... Work !
Brake Lights .... Work !
Running Lights .. DO NOT WORK !
Elec Brakes .... Work !
AUX 12 volts ..... Work !

OK so can anyone tell me if there is another fuse or somethgin im missing to ge tthese damn tail lights to work ? I had the same problem on my friends 97 truck everything but the tails worked. we finally gave up and hooked the tails to the aux 12 volt on his to make them work whenever the key was on. I really dont' want to do this on mine tho I want it correct. If no one has s solution i'm going to tap into the tails and and run a relay for them.

I have checked and on the wire that is supposed to have power when the tails are on does not have power. I checked this before and after I made the switch of the connector so I know it's not the connector that is the problem it has to be someplace else..

All in all I'm pretty happy but know that a turbo would probably help me out in the future. I'm looking at maybe doing a turbo mounted a bit further away from the engine to see if that might help keep some of the temp down. But thats another project all together.

All in all it was a pretty un-eventful trip thank god becuase I was worried before I left as normal with a new used truck I had not gone that far with.

I thank all you guys over the past few weeks for your help and information while I learn more about this ole truck. :)

Dave

pafixitman

Reaction score
Dave,
I know the trailer harness has a seperate relay and fuse, but you may want to check your headlight switch. If you have a lot of chicken lights, that brown fire gets pretty toasty on the back of the switch!

Towing my 5'r the first time changed my wife's mind about getting a turbo! You rally should get some gauges also. I am amazed at what the gauge reads versus the dash gauge.

Short track racing at night! :thumbsup: ;Sweet

BTW-I'll be at Gettysburg camp ground again this weekend. #114 back by the creek.

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Joe,

I told her I needed guages and such and i think she understands the turbo route now that she had to endure the slow parts. :) I will ahve to check the fuse I checked everyone under the dash (I'm blind cant read that darn little panel for nothgin but checked them all anyways didn't see any bad ones. I'll check the relay tonight make sure that puppy is installed and check for power there. I just replaced the headlight switch when I bought the truck and that baby looks fine. But upon your advice aqnd everyone elses I'm ordering some relays and putting them on all the circuts for the lights. Just to be safe :)

The short track race was a bit uneventful other than Harvick dropping off after leading the entire race he made a mistake and didn't pit (actually his crew chief did) and that opened the door for the JR to whoop some butt.. (First live race I have been to and my guy wins !) Now the friday night BUSCH race I had good seat in turn 2 and seen a few nice opps happen so it was fun. no one hit the wall in qualifying :( bummer but it was fun as hell anyways

Man I gotta get over and say Hi to you one weekend. I'm pretty well booke dout this weekend again have a birthday party to attend for a little guy get the wonderful job of music for him and his 10 little friends and when I'm not doing that he has tasked me with making balloon animals for him and his friends...... guess i will need to do a bit of hoem owrk been along time sense i made them things.

I'll check things out maybe I can swing on by Sat morning and say Hi before I go pick up a few things for the afternoon.

pafixitman

Reaction score
1st race? :confused: Dang. I had tickets for Richmond once. It snowed and the race was postponed to easter Sunday and I never went. Yep, happy Harvick was a tad upset. Parked his car after the race and disappeared. Ol' DW called it right when he said it would cost Harvick the race by not pitting. JR fan :puke:

My "mini me" is a Jimmy Johnson / Lowes fan. I'm a Dale Jarrett / Ford fan myself.

If you make it out - great. If not there will be many more chances. I may have the mother in law in the spot next to us. -cuss :puke: :D :D

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
I'm slow to do some stuff just hadn't had the time to go to a race ....

Yeah DW was right it was not happy's idea not to pit matter of fact he was screaming on the scanner at his crew chief about it. he was upset as hell... :mad: :mad: I think Jr. woudl ahve had somethgin for him even had he pitted Jr's car was good all night he did come from 34th all the way to the front so couldn't be that bad they worked on that car all night as well it was really good on the green flag runs that were more than 20 laps or so. early on he had a bad push getting int he corner but he compensated and drove 1/2 - 1 groove higher and got the job done.. it's been 27 races last tiem he won so it was about time..

Denny Hamlin did i nice job as well good race not much excitement just a good clean race..

My wife is a Dale Jarrett fan and a ford fan I'm a ford fan but have always stuck with the Dale... Sr and Jr.. I ahve been with them for the long run as long as I can remember. I root for Jarrett and for Edwards aw well.. ;Sweet

Just drop me a line when your going to be at the campground and I'll see what it looks liek wife likes to get away from kids and just do nothing and that campground is close....

Dave

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Joe said, a Turbo is the way to go.
I just bought the 91 F350 CC Banks Turbo/BTS Trans truck over the weekend in SC. Drove it up to PA on Saturday. Compared to the 92 F350 SC 5-sp NA, the turbo made a huge difference in ease of pulling all the way.
I was loaded with 6k of car hauler w/VW Jetta on top.
Now I need to decide whether I keep the turbo on the 91 with BTS or switch it over to the 92 with 5-sp.
Good Luck with the wiring issue.

Since I work with Joe, we should convince him to go to a Race in the Poconos. I did that race several years ago and had a blast. :thumbsup:

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
We should go only problem is they are sold out on inield reserverd for June race so it would have to be the July race I guess.. !!! Unless we get there 2 days early and wait to get inside the gates. !! but i think after 2 days the old holding tank might not fair so well.. well actually the holding tanks would be ok it would be the water supply running out !hah!!

Anyone know a campground close to there thats not booked For the June race? or July race maybe we can get a few of us to head on up?

Also I'm workign on fixing up my 5 lots on the Potomac River just over the WV boder off 81 in marlow.. When they are done will have places for 5 - 6 TT to park with water elec and sewer hookups.. And Cable TV as well. May end up with internet service havent decided yet but it's all in the works. !!!

Anyone here a Mason ? I need to constuct a block building to house all my important stuff (Power , Pumps etc) and block is the way i have to go.. So anyoen that works for beer let me know I'll supppy beer and food and we can have a building party !! (bette be self contained or bring a generator cuz no elec until the building is up !!..

Working on the truck tonight try and find the wiring issue I need then runnign lights !!
Dave

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Joe,

Thanks for the info I found the problem !!!! Yeah you all guessed right THEFUSE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WAS BLOWN !!!

Dumb me shoudl check these things.. (well i checked all them in the cab ) befor ei think somethgin else is wrong think i would ahve learned my lesson on the headlight switch.

Thanks !!!
Dave

pafixitman

Reaction score
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dave,
I have had the truck for just over two years. By no means do I know anything about 'em. You will find someone on this board that "has been there, done that, got the t-shirt" for just about anything you can think of. Even though I think I am a dumba$$ for asking some questions, I ask away.

My first post was "It is 20* outside and my truck won't start." Learned how to change glow plugs before I had her a week!

Glad you got her fixed for very little money!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squirreltow said:
As Joe said, a Turbo is the way to go.
I just bought the 91 F350 CC Banks Turbo/BTS Trans truck over the weekend in SC. Drove it up to PA on Saturday. Compared to the 92 F350 SC 5-sp NA, the turbo made a huge difference in ease of pulling all the way.
I was loaded with 6k of car hauler w/VW Jetta on top.
Now I need to decide whether I keep the turbo on the 91 with BTS or switch it over to the 92 with 5-sp.
Good Luck with the wiring issue.

Since I work with Joe, we should convince him to go to a Race in the Poconos. I did that race several years ago and had a blast. :thumbsup:

Survey says, put that turbo on the 5 speed! Of course, that's an unpopular decision with those of us who know and love that '91 you're driving. :)

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Survey says, put that turbo on the 5 speed! Of course, that's an unpopular decision with those of us who know and love that '91 you're driving. :)

Mike, Mike...I want him to put the 5spd on the CC, give me the BTS tranny and I'll get him a junker E4OD for the ext cab! :D

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Mike, Mike...I want him to put the 5spd on the CC, give me the BTS tranny and I'll get him a junker E4OD for the ext cab! :D

Now you're talking my language! I'd go for that!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:

Yup... I'd go for that, just haven't seen his newer IDI so have no idea which truck is in better condition overall!