My new '86 6.9

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new '86 6.9....and pics

Hi,

I am new to this board and just picked up an '86 f250 4x4 with a 6.9 IDI. I am in love with this thing. In order to start from a clean slate service wise, I am going to be changing the oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, and flush the cooling system. I have read the Tech Articles on the SCA DCA additives, but would like some specific numbers.

I found that the tech articles mentioned: "Ford or Motorcraft Premium Antifreeze · Motorcraft Premium Gold Antifreeze (does not require SCA/DCA)"
Does this mean that I simply add the coolant, and do not have to bother using the test strips for atleast 10K miles? Please clue me in. If this is incorrect, please let me know the correct method of using SCA with a recommended coolant.

Thanks again for the help, take care.

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It doesn't matter as far as brand of coolant. As long as it's a low silicate formula. It should state that on the bottle. You'll need about a pint and a half of SCA's. Then run it, and test it out of the radiator fill neck, the next AM.

If you use pre-charged, there's no need for testing for 2 oil changes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be a diesel rated low silicate ethylene glycol coolant. The Ford premium stuff, I can't say if it is OK for the 6.9/7.3 or not, but I would think so. The bottom line is to make sure it is a low silicate formula and to add SCA if needed, if you are using a precharged coolant, then DON"t add any SCA, this could sludge up the system adn reduce the cooling efficiency. You should stay away from extended life coolants unless they are specifically for HD applications, like CAT, Rotella, and a couple others that are tried and true. Even at that, there is a tradeoff, the ELCs use organic acid technology, and some say this will eventually eat up your oil cooler orings. Others have used it for many many miles with no dificulties, but until those orings ahve at least been changed I would be hesitant to use it. The positive side is you can almost forget about SCAs with these HD ELC coolants. As to oil, again make sureit is diesel rated and if you can make it fit in your application use teh Ford FL-1995 filter or equivalent. It'll give you an extra quart to play with and better filtration. Good luck with your new toy,
J.D.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies, I appriciate it. I just snapped a few shots of this thing before it got too dark out here. It needs a bumper, and some paint on the hood; but other than that I am happy with it.

Attachments

• CB450 001.JPG
    CB450 001.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
  • CB450 003.JPG
    CB450 003.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 13
  • CB450 004.JPG
    CB450 004.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 9
  • CB450 006.JPG
    CB450 006.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CB450 007.JPG
    CB450 007.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 9

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's beautiful, looks a lot like mine, except not as rough. Think I like the 2-tone red and white a lot.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
She's beautiful, looks a lot like mine, except not as rough. Think I like the 2-tone red and white a lot.

I am having a blast with this truck so far. Since this morning I have racked up 150 miles on it haha.

I am going to run to my local International dealer tomorrow and pickup some test strips. I know I have to dip the strips into the radiator, but exactly what type of level/reading am I trying to reach? In what incriments do you add the SCA if it isn't at the desired level?

If I go the pre-charged route, are there different levels of pre-charged SCA coolants? Sorry for all the questions, much appriciated. Thanks again.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
squeekyM said:
Thanks for the great replies, I appriciate it. I just snapped a few shots of this thing before it got too dark out here. It needs a bumper, and some paint on the hood; but other than that I am happy with it.

Great looking truck! When you're done with it, I want it. :thumbsup:

Tom