My E4OD Tale.....

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems everyone has a tale so here's mine.....see what ya'll think.....I'm at a loss and probably gonna hit the tranny shop Monday.

A week ago......I'm gonna do cliff notes version.......tranny starts slipping like crazy.....barely make it home. Drop pan and put in new tranny filter. Fluid smells bad but no chunks etc in the pan....just your basic goo stuck to the magnet. Button it back up and fill er up......not slipping anymore but taking forever to shift from 1st to 2nd. Bring it back home attempt adjustment on the FIPL.....can't seem to get it to stay at one setting. I mean I'd set it to 1.2 and I'd move the throttle to WO and when it came back it would be like 3.0 at idle. It wouldn't stay set.....ok new FIPL.....adjust as close to 1.2 as I could. No change in tranny behavior.....while all this is happening tach starts acting up.....tach sensor has one of the two wires all frayed up.......ok that's it.....new tach sensor....go up the road and now all I got is 1st and 3rd......won't go into OD and I don't think Torque Converter is locking either.....so I decide I'm gonna bring it to my local mechanic (used for years and I trust him) cuz I'm at a loss but before I do I go ahead and replace my external filter that I added years ago with a new wix filter. Take it up the road and I got all my gears back but they aren't shifting correctly. So my mechanic finally is able to put it on the reader and it has the FIPL code, MAP code, speed sensor code and a couple more but they were closing up so clears all the codes and he says he will research the codes and to bring it back Monday but why don't I try to replace MAP and maybe it will fix it. OK so I leave the parking lot and it actually almost feels like it's shifting like it's supposed to. Head to O'reilly's and pick up MAP. Install it in the parking lot and it takes forever to shift to 2nd again.....actually feels like it's skipping 2nd altogether and going straight to 3rd. Ok start heading home and halfway there I lose 3rd and OD so I limping along in what I can only guess is 2nd.....can't go above 35......get home and try to reverse and it takes forever to go into reverse.....park it and there she sits.

Sorry for the long post....and this was the cliff notes version.....anyway I'm at a loss so I think instead of going back to my mechanic I'm just gonna bring it to the dedicated tranny shop on Monday because I am at a loss. It's basically back to square one where it was slipping and I barely made it home. I got nothin......any thoughts on what I can try this weekend before Monday? I plan on checking level once more and attempting to set FIPL once more. Is there a way I can clear the codes without a reader? Seemed to shift better right after the code clearing......like I said I got nothing......

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can clear the codes by disconnecting the batteries. Let is sit for a few minutes (like 10 to 15 minutes) and reconnect. You will loose all of your radio settings. Better to get a scanner. You will need it down the road.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just where is this MAP sensor and where is it located?

To my knowledge there is no code that's retrievable for a MAP on a 91 E4OD TCM. EEC IV.

Can you post the Code numbers that were retrieved?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mr. Bill, It's located on the firewall...passenger side....next to the air conditioner thinga ma jig. Yep technical term...feel free to use it. On our trucks I guess it really measures barometric pressure. Tells the tranny what altitude is and adjusts shifts accordingly.

Unfortunately I can't give you the specific codes as I wasn't manning the reader device....I'm just going by what my mechanic dude called out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online