My 91 and fuel

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Hey all. Bought the 91 a month or so ago. Love the truck. Had a few issues which I am slowly working out. Main one has been the TPS for the E4OD. Still having shifting issues after replacing and trying all types of settings. Truck "hunts" for a gear at 30 to 35 which with the 25% factor for tire size is 37 to 43 give or take. Nothing seems to change it. Just shifts in and out of 4 untill reach higher speeds. Unfortunately its the perfect cruising speed for our little country roads. (deer, kids, dogs). So I am asuming it is just the nature of this truck? Also I have been checking the fuel mileage. It is pretty poor. Got less than 10 last tank. My buddy has the same truck with the 5 speed and an early ATS without the waste gate and he says his gets 15 to 18. His is nearly worn out, smokes like a chimney and he never maintains the truck. Mine never smokes, starts clean and runs like a clock. What gives? Do these E4OD trans suck up that much fuel to operate? What kind of mileage are your auto trucks getting?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Magoo,

Im running 93 CC DRW NA w/E40D 2WD and stock size tires. I get 17 mpg just running around. 10 is LOW!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magoo said:
Hey all. Bought the 91 a month or so ago. Love the truck. Had a few issues which I am slowly working out. Main one has been the TPS for the E4OD. Still having shifting issues after replacing and trying all types of settings. Truck "hunts" for a gear at 30 to 35 which with the 25% factor for tire size is 37 to 43 give or take. Nothing seems to change it. Just shifts in and out of 4 untill reach higher speeds. Unfortunately its the perfect cruising speed for our little country roads. (deer, kids, dogs). So I am asuming it is just the nature of this truck? Also I have been checking the fuel mileage. It is pretty poor. Got less than 10 last tank. My buddy has the same truck with the 5 speed and an early ATS without the waste gate and he says his gets 15 to 18. His is nearly worn out, smokes like a chimney and he never maintains the truck. Mine never smokes, starts clean and runs like a clock. What gives? Do these E4OD trans suck up that much fuel to operate? What kind of mileage are your auto trucks getting?

I assume you're getting about 10 in stop and go driving at 30-35mph? I'd say 12-13 might be more like it. If you're doing a lot of accelerating/decelerating, though, maybe 10 is about right. I get 14 in city driving with a light foot, and 18 on the highway at 70mph.

Mike

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
My truck runs 4.11s, and has 35 inch tires. I have run the mile posts on the freeway and its 22.8% off. I add 25% just to make it easy math. Still came up at 9.82 mpg. I am a slow driver. Most driving is on country roads. Our local town has the stop lights timed to 25mph and I am pretty good at hitting all the greens. I cant help think that the trans problem and the fuel consumption are related. Trans is a new rebuild with all the best stuff. Previous owner said he spent 4k. New trick convertor, improved shafts, valve body ect. I noticed today (28 deg.) the truck has to wind up quite a bit before it starts moving. Gets better as the truck warms up. Not an expert on auto trans. Any thoughts?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my truck runs 5.13 gears,im lucky if i see 10MPG on a good day with the blowing behind me going downhill.

dont know about your tanny though.mine does the same thing.i thought maybe it needed a new filter and fluid,didnt help anything.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
my truck runs 5.13 gears,im lucky if i see 10MPG on a good day with the blowing behind me going downhill.

dont know about your tanny though.mine does the same thing.i thought maybe it needed a new filter and fluid,didnt help anything.
rich-
I have 4.56's in the back of my f450. around town its a dog. 10mpg at best. On the freeway tho, the truck runs like a scalded cat. If I behave myself(i usually don't), the truck will range very nicely. 14-15 if I am a good boy :eek: