Mufflerectomy

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats what the TDI folks call it at least LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Big ole thing for a little turbo diesel. Love the sound of these straight piped! Gotta work on the cats next.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lucky you Justin, at least you can pull the cats...no way Jose out here -cuss

I hope you put pipe in its place and didn't do what a buddy of mine did to his '81 300SD...he took a hacksaw and cut the exhaust pipe just beyond the downpipe, ripped the mufflers out, and called it good :shocked: as towcat put it, Big Helga sounded like a milk truck going down the road :rotflmao

Any chance of a video? I know an ALH will sound different...my biggest question is, how much louder is it inside? Towcat and I have both put some thought into making the mufflers in my '01 go bye-bye :angel: but I don't want the cabin to be any louder with the windows closed...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I did exactly that. Both of them are done that way to be exact LOL one day I will rig up something fancier.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're going to want to put a tailpipe on or you are going to regret the soot buildup later on. Even with a pressure washer, it's almost impossible to remove.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're going to want to put a tailpipe on or you are going to regret the soot buildup later on. Even with a pressure washer, it's almost impossible to remove.
Based on my experience both with my truck and with my buddy's aforementioned 300SD, X2 on that!! I have to give the soot under my truck credit for one thing, though...I don't think the rust on the frame and underside is as bad as the rust up above :shocked: LOL

lilredtdi

Reaction score
The drone between 70-75mph will be annoying...............Ask me how I know.

I am running a 3" passenger performance SS downpipe into 2 1/2" pipe and a magnaflo straight through oval muffler to a dual 3" tip welded to muffler. Quiet until I get on it but she has a conservative 215HP which is over double stock.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
My 11 TDI , I straight piped the muffler and no differnce in sound.... Not willing to DPF and cats delete to give up 600+ miles to a tank of fuel.:frustrate

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My 11 TDI , I straight piped the muffler and no differnce in sound.... Not willing to DPF and cats delete to give up 600+ miles to a tank of fuel.:frustrate

You would have to get tunes otherwise it wouldnt know you didnt have a DPF and the car would go into limp mode. You could easily pick up 10% better fuel mileage.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I love the sound of those straight piped.
Albeit, it's not a roar of a big diesel, but still....

Is the "cat" built into the dp on these?
I know some turbo Saab's were like that.