Motor Removal & Hood

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, I pulled my motor today by myself. I couldn't get the down pipe out of the way so it stayed in place causing its share of trouble. And now the fun part. I left the hood in place, rigged really close to the intake manifold and it cleared really easy. Just a little up, then a little forward several times and it was out. My flywheel gear is shot. About 7 years ago when it cavitated the first time I had the gear pulled and rotated so I had new gear teeth to work with. Now its really worn out. I bought a complete wheel on Ebay for $75.00. The pressed torque converter plate was worn so I called Ford Parts Online.... Almost $300.00 for the plate and that small 4 1/8 inch washer was $68.00.... Mine was in fine shape so the heck with that. My Banks Sidewinder is shot. The wastegate wont move and the bearings are worn so bad the wheel on the cold side has just started to rub. The hot wheel eat something and is shot too. Banks wants $1072.00 for the rebuild section and $1149.00 for a complete hot and cold side assembly ready to bolt into the manifold. Gee... What to do.... I have pictures but don't know how to post them.... :confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt we need the pictures. That was a pretty vivid description. I'd shop around for the turbo rebuild. Banks is likely to be on the high side, and any competent turbo shop can probably handle it. The torque converter plate can probably also be had for less, especially if it is off a parts engine. I don't know if you found this to be true or not, but when installing or pulling an engine myself, I find it easier to move the truck then the cherry picker.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my motor with a boom wrecker with the hood off. By yourself its not to bad using the lift and in and out hydrolics. glad you got it out with no problems