Motor died suddenly!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The dirty fuel filter is a great place to start as posted above. At 200,000 miles on the pump its surely well worn. So are the injecters. Some of the questions asked above really need answers before we can continue much more without making more guess. The type of fuel your useing is an important question and so is the age of the fuel filter. Being a 1990 truck helps too. I have an 89 so what you have is probably the same as what I have as far as the fuel system goes. Running a fuel tank low is usually the sign of a broken off pickup line in the tank. What happens is the last 4 or 5 gallons can't be sucked up because the fuel pickup is gone at that fuel level. Then you have about 1/4 tank and a fillup only puts another 12 or 13 gallons in the tank to make it full. Very common issue with many of these trucks. Holding the throttl wide open when cranking for about 15 seconds will push more fuel thru the system. Rest the starter about 5 minutes so it does not burn it up. Cranking these engines puts a horrible strian on the batterys and starters with the 21 1/2 to 1 compression ratio and the near 500 lbs of cranking compression. You can stand in front of the engine and jump the fender mount solenoid while holding the throttle wide open with your other hand. Thats what I do all the time. Just make sure the truck is in nuetral or park and block the tires just in case. The small wire on the fender solenoid is just pulled off and any metal is used to bridge voltage over from the hot side terminal closest to the firewall. If your not clear on this hot terminal look at the heavy cable from the passanger side battery to the solenoid. That side of the solenoid is always hot. So is the cable to the glow plug controller and the alternater.

Madgod

Reaction score
Ok so I got a chance to tear into the truck on Sunday. I decided to do the cardinal sin and start replacing parts. I did take some pics this time to show what I'm doing ( most likely wrong.)

You must be registered for see images attach

This was the setup I had for the fuel gauge. This was showing 4.5 psi off the electric fuel pump when the motor died. So I think I didn't suck air from the tank.

The brown wire was used a power source for the fuel pump. So I know I had power to the FSS. When I removed the clip I could hear the FSS clicking everytime I touched it with power.

Started to pull brackets off.

Didn't realize how dirty the motor was until I got into it. Most of the fuel return lines were leaking it looks like.

The day started with a shot of energy.

Wasn't long before we changed the beverage choice.

Holy Crap did you guys know there is writing on these motors!:shocked: I really need to clean this more often.

Ok she's ready for surgery!

Pump came out with little problems. (Thanks for all the info on this site)

Anyway to tell if this is fact the original pump. I turned the shaft and fuel squirted out the nozzles. Not a lot but that leads to the not having a broken shaft right?

Valve covers off and new seals ready to go on.

Am I right in thinking that is the original injectors? The 1-90 is the year made right.

Pulled all 8 injectors no problems. Copper washers all came out. Cleaned out the seat areas, greased the new BB injectors from Agmen and set at 33fps. Didn't take a pic of the valve covers back on with the new gaskets. ( was getting dark)

Next is to install the new brackets for the Banks turbo that is going on with this motor tweak. Will install the Baby moose when it gets here and new fuel return lines. Cleaned out the injector lines. I realize this doesn't answer why the truck died on me. I will replace the fuel filter before this project gets wrapped up. I just put that filter in not 1000 miles ago.

Will update as I go along. Sorry if this isn't the proper thread for this. I didn't expect this to morph into this project.

Madgod

Reaction score
Ok Last night we pushed through and got most of the install done. The instructions were a little frustrating at times. Help of a sawzall and a deadblow we were able to make it fit. Couple of quick questions --

With the Baby Moose pump and new BB injectors - should the fuel pick up pump keep up with the new IP and injectors. I can watch the fuel pressure gauge drop from 4.5 psi down to 1 when I get on the throttle? The motor doesn't hesitate or stumble, just seeing that makes me nervous.

This Banks Sidewinder kit didn't come with the transcommander-- I thought I read on here that if you have a newer model E40D with all the updates that you really didn't need that? Some even said that is was not good to run! Thoughts?

How far into the manifold before the turbo should the pryo protrude? I had to install a bushing for the pryo I bought and it raised it up, not out of the manifold. It's maybe 1/2" into the exhaust passage.

Truck will be timed at a shop on Wednesday. Drove it around the block a few times and all seemed good. Like i mentioned , it's hard to tell what made the most difference since I installed new injectors, moose pump, and a banks turbo all at the same time. Plus the turbo is used not new.

Clearance of the firewall.

Oil connection for the turbo.

New fuel return lines installed.

Turbo casting semi bolted up.

Baby moose installed, GPR relocated,

Turbo sitting pretty!

Ready to fire up.

Here's the pryo that i am wondering about.

Need to run a straight pipe back to the rear wheels.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think those pyro's were a banks thing. My brothers has the same thing, Right in the same spot. It does seem to be out a ways. You couldn't put it straight into an exhaust manifold?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online