More problems

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Well hello again folks. Been awhile since I have been on here. I ended up spending a couple of months in Mississippi and have been back a month or so, decided that I didn't really want to move there and give up everything that I have here. Anyhow, three days ago I finished up my engine swap (see this thread [thread=11142]poke[/thread]) since I didn't have time to do it before I left. Good news is the truck runs great, way better than the old 7.3 did. Bad news is that I swear this thing has a rod knocking. Just a few minutes ago I read mels article on the differences of 6.9/7.3. Turns out you are not supposed to use a 7.3 dm flywheel on a 6.9. Crap. I did, since the 6.9 was an auto. So my question is- is there any way that this mis-match can be what is causing the knocking sound?

I didn't see anything in the article about the cranks being different, can I use the 7.3 crank in my 6.9? Also, if anybody has the journal diameters for the crank can they give those to me, hopefully with service limits too? I am going to tear the 7.3 apart tonight to see what is still good. If you look into one of the exhaust ports you can see the valve has been shoved up in there sideways, that can't be good.

Also, if anybody has a 6.9 flywheel they can sell me please let me know as I will not be driving until I can get one. Thanks for listening

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rip van sparky said:
Also, if anybody has a 6.9 flywheel they can sell me please let me know as I will not be driving until I can get one. Thanks for listening
I have the flywheel off my 6.9l, still...it was mated to a T-19. It could probably stand to be resurfaced, but it and the clutch were working fine before I did the ZF5 swap. I need to get up off my tail and get things sold...I have the tranny and other T-19-related parts as well...

If you're mating a 6.9l to a ZF5, however, you can use the 7.3l flywheel (and, actually, can't use the T-19 flywheel)...

rip van sparky

Reaction score
are you sure about using the ZF-5 flywheel from the 7.3 on the 6.9? Mel's article said not to because of balance issues.

agnem said:
Flywheel -
IMPORTANT. DO NOT USE 6.9 flywheel or vibration damper on 7.3 or vice versa. If components are intermixed, engine vibration and premature component wear may be encountered. For identification, compare these part numbers.
Vibration damper 6.9 1805414C1
Vibration damper 7.3 1809117C1
Flywheel Auto 6.9 1803219C1
Flywheel Auto 7.3 1809212C1
Flywheel manual 6.9 E7TA-6477-AB
Flywheel manual 7.3 E8TA-6477-AA

I have driven it a little and haven't noticed anything obvious but with all of the noise and vibration normally encountered it could easily be covered up. How long have you had the 7.3 flywheel on your 6.9 and have you noticed anything? Was the ZF-5 available with the 6.9 or just the T-18? thanks

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 was briefly offered behind the 6.9l, as an option in the 1987 model year. IIRC, the DMFW used with the 6.9l shares a part number with the one used with the 7.3l. I've heard the "balance issue" argument before, but based on the part numbers, I think it's safe.

I've been runnig the ZF5/LuK SMFW for just shy of a year now, and about 6K miles. I haven't noticed anything vibration-related, and I pay close attention...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online