More compression tester BS?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just tried to use my SECOND 1000psi compression tester from ebay (because I can't afford one that costs as much as a head job). And again, this one does the EXACT same thing. Testing via the GP holes, the needle bounces to only about 150psi and immediately drops back down to 0psi. No leaks, gauge just doesn't hold pressure. However, if I plug it into an air compressor and pull it off the fitting after it starts to read pressure, it'll hold until I release the pressure manually. I took the chuck apart and found that when it's locked into a male fitting, it free-flows air in both directions (normal, yes?), but the gauge won't hold pressure between the release valve and gauge head. Am I seriously just screwed on a compression tester that's less than $60? I'm sure if my IDI only had 150 psi on each cylinder that it wouldn't even light off...

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The harbor fright one is exactly the same, but apparently doesn't lack a check valve. Guess I'm boned. Just don't have the cash for one. This thread can be deleted.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
There's no threading inside any of the adapters for a valve. Looks like all the GP adapters are cut from 9/16" hex stock.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has to be a schraeder valve in there somewhere if you expect it to work - like the picture shows.