Moosestang Update

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
If you wanna do the prep work, my best friend owns a body shop & would probably squirt it for you for cost of materials. You've seen his work first hand. He laid the paint on my truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the offers guys. After I price guns, I might take you up on it. My 6HP compressor is more than up to the task. I don't have a way to take the Bronc to a body shop, so that's out for the moment. I'll try to find some body shop forums on the web and see what they say the best paint to use is. I'm basically looking for the automotive equivelent of Rustoleum.

Reaction score
Mel,

Sweet looking rig. It's really going to be something.

I've done a little checking for my rig as far as paint. PPG makes a good base/clear combination (I believe it is called Concept II) that seems to be pretty well liked. It's a little expensive, but it's suppose to be forgiving. If you're going to blast the whole thing, DuPont makes a really good etch primer that'll ward off the malignant melanoma.

Keep up the good work!

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I disassembled 2 C-6 transmissions. One of them was Darrin Tosh's old 4X4 C6, and the other was the 2WD C-6 that came from the F-350, and was assumed good. We took Darrin's apart first. He had told me that it had been slipping in 2nd, and shur enough, there was plenty of evidence to that effect. The band was just about shot (very thin lining) and the direct drive drum was scored, and burned. We then took the 2WD apart, hoping to find the parts in good enough condition to swap into the 4X4 one. Indeed, all the parts were good, but the direct drive drum had only 3 clutches instead of 4, so no dice there. We did transfer a sun gear out of the 2WD since the one from Darrin's truck had evidence of some hard neutral drops. ;Really Since all the parts houses were closed by this time, and I had to go into work, we were unable to finish the tranny rebuild. I will now have to hunt down a new direct drive drum (I'm told I can get a 'power pack' which has even more clutches and is more heavy duty) and get a seal kit and band. Once I have those parts, the reassembly will be done according to my mechanic friends benevolance. Right now the C6 is in about a thousand pieces in buckets in his service bay. It's pretty cool when your Ford dealer has people working there that not only know their stuff (Bob could rebuild a C6 with his eyes closed I'm sure, and had nothing but good words to say about them), but have people you can actually become friends enough with that they invite you over to use their shop on a Saturday and mentor you on how to take apart and rebuild one of these things. All this done in the shadow of a F-250 that just had a rebuilt PSD engine dropped in it at 44K because the owner was an absolute **** in the way he treated his truck.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mel,

Check out this site for parts: www.c6-c4.com . I haven't order from them or anything, but I'm going to. They have all the stuff to install the E4OD gear sets (1st & 2nd) in a C6 as well as bigger drums for more clutches, wide bands & so on.

Also, (off topic) would you by chance be in the market for a smaller version of the Moose Truck? About 2 minutes from my house is a standard cab 86 or older with a mild lift & some bigger tires. I haven't gone into the park & ride to see that else it has or doesn't have, but I can get you the number & details if you interested.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, thanks for the link! Man, they got everything. As for the project truck, I'll have to pass this time. Funds are already pretty wiped out. I need somebody to buy this AOD I have! - Mel

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Scott, thanks for the link! Man, they got everything. As for the project truck, I'll have to pass this time. Funds are already pretty wiped out. I need somebody to buy this AOD I have! - Mel

Will the AOD fit a 90s model Supercharged V6 Thunderbird?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have no idea what an AOD fits. It was bolted up to a 351W and is an 87'. I wish it would bolt to an IDI, cause I'd try it. It's a nice 4 speed with overdrive.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I think Mel's AOD is from his Bronco, which would make it a 4wd AOD. Wouldn't work in to Supercoupe w/o some major modifications. Then again, a 4wd Supercoupe would be pretty trick.
John

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Agnem said:

Glad you found it helpful. A great way to show your appreciation would be to install the goodies I buy while you rebuild MY C-6!! LOL By the way, false alarm on the Moose Jr. It's an '81 F150 gasser. The wheels & tires are worth more than the truck as a whole. :puke:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you want to rebuild your C6, I'll be glad to help you after this project is done. I won't be afraid of them anymore. :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my "side pipes" at lunch today. Donaldson part number 208359 $73.72 each. That's a 4" X 3' stack. Purchased from Hollinger Mack in Lancaster. Got EZ his 5" X 4' stacks also. I'll probably have these on before the engine even goes in! LOL