moment of panic

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thursday morning I go to leave for work. I turn on switch wait for GP's turn to start it rolls over about 1.5 seconds and just stops dead nothing when I turn the switch. So fearing the worst I open the hood and start to investigate the problem. Radiator full no oil dont think it could be hydrolocked. so I jump the the fender mounted relay to try to get the starter to turn over and nothing but a bunch of sparks and pretty blue smoke come from the starter... :thumbsup: ... So I crawl under to look and notice that the wire from the selanoid to the starter motor is missing insulation and crispy looking and the starter is hot enough to burn bare skin.So I get tools and remove it and get it replaced under warranty. it was still warm to the touch when I got to the parts store after removing it from the truck.I guess the starter motor just seized up and would not spin anymore.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Yep the IDI's are ******* starters
only if you have issues with GP's and/or air in the feul system. Otherwise, I have gotten 2-3 years out of starters on my towtrucks. Multiple daily starts avging 60-70k mi a year.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
only if you have issues with GP's and/or air in the feul system. Otherwise, I have gotten 2-3 years out of starters on my towtrucks. Multiple daily starts avging 60-70k mi a year.

I averege 30000 a year and that starter was about 2 years old. It just freaked me out that it seized up never heard of a starter doing that.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
dang,I wish I could get myself a couple brand new never used starters.Mine lasted me over 60K and 5 years.....actually,it still worked when I pulled the motor.And I gave that starter hell a couple times,Bad GPs,ran outta Go Go juice(with a full tank.....DOH,Hit the switch next time dummy).Plus,It might have been the original from teh factory since the truck only had 45K on it when I got it.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smokin_stroker00 said:
That is why you need to use Autozone starters just takem back and get a new one :thumbsup: love there lifetime warrentty

That is where it came from 2 years ago no cost other than my time to R&R the starter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online