MODIFY A 6.9?

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted an earlier thread about my truck. I recently purchased an 86 F350 DRW 6.9l, ohhhh yeahhhhh. It's not the 97 PSD I had before, but I'm pretty excited about it. Love the simplicity of the motor. So, I wanna know what kind of power this motor can make and can handle. I've heard about turning something that has to do with the fuel, is that located under the filter? Anyway, any insight would be great. Thanks....

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can turn the fuel screw up on the injection pump but buying a pyrometer is highly suggested before doing that. a good free flowing intake and exhaust will help it with power and keep the egts down

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular articles or a certain place to find them? That's a little vague, E69. Thanks Slide for answering my question.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You know I could not find it, but just so You don't end empty handed.
There is a plate on the pass side of the IP (Injection Pump) with 2 small screws holding it in place, if You remove this plate You'll see the inside of the pump and if You turn the engine (disconnect batt cables and wires from IP to avoid starting the engine) You'll see a screw inside that You can drive with an allen wrench (can't remember the size right now sorry), if You turn this screw cw You'll turn up the fuel. You can turn it once and see the results or turn all the way and then back up a hair.

For reference mine is turned 2 times and I have a turbo, don't know if You have one yet. Hope that helps at all, Mel is the man to ask about ip's if performance (+HP) is what You want.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Oh one more thing, maybe You already know this since You had another diesel before but before You do this You just have to get a pyrometer to keep an eye on the EGT's.

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the info E69, I had heard about turning up the fuel and wondered whether the motor can handle, don't want a melt down. No turbo yet, want one. I was looking at hypermax, they just connect the exhaust lines and re route them back to the top. That doesn't seem like it woul dbe that hard to do. Just a thought. What kind of turbo do you have? Did you buy all the needed parts?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The engine has issues like most other engines but it can take the same loads Your pds did just slower :D . I have a Hypermax and if I where to buy a turbo again it would be the same. Have the Ip on Your engine ever been replaced? There is another fuel screw (on turbo Ip's) on top of the IP and this one can increase the amount of fuel that is injected at lower rpms, but again is better to have a turbo. If You are not all for power then this is an excellent engine.

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not lookin to win any records or anything. i was surprised at the power that it did have with no turbo, and that all probably has to do with gearing also. But, a turbo at some point would be nice. What is IP? I'm not well versed in the diesel lingo yet. Thanks....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and the IDI world. We hope you'll take some time to read the FAQ's at the top of this forum, as well as the technical articles collection above that. We pride ourselves on having easy to find info so that we aren't filling the forums with answers to the same questions over and over again like you will find on so many other sites. The search feature works extremely well, so don't be afraid to use it. You'll find lots of reading makes for a very quick education so you don't have to wonder what I.P. (Injection Pump) and other terms mean. Pay attention to the signitures of a lot of our posters. There is a wealth of linked reading there also. Glad to have you on board.