missuing when cold

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck has started to have a little miss when its cold like in the teens. The miss goes away after about 8 min. Any help would be great thanks guy

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Glow plugs automatic or push button? The SD33 in one of my Scouts misses until it's totally warmed up, I can only assume it's from the lack of afterglow unless I do it myself. It's got push button GP's.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running any amount of wmo, that could give it a miss before it warms up. Or maybe injector problem:dunno

MrsFordGuy100

Reaction score
After 8 minutes? That's a long time!

That would rule out glow plugs. 8 minutes tells me it's either a bad injector, really bad
Compression on that cylinder, or a valve train problem

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like bad glow plug or two. have one bad one on mine and it misses too when its cold starting but starts running right after the engine warms up a bit

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
After 8 minutes? That's a long time!

That would rule out glow plugs. 8 minutes tells me it's either a bad injector, really bad
Compression on that cylinder, or a valve train problem

IDK... with mine, it really hates not having heat to all cylinders. If one or in this case probably more aren't actually working, then in cold weather those cylinders are going to take a while to warm up. Just my thoughts.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs automatic or push button? The SD33 in one of my Scouts misses until it's totally warmed up, I can only assume it's from the lack of afterglow unless I do it myself. It's got push button GP's.
It has automatic glow plugs

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try to post a video of it. It does it until the high idle kicks off. It still has the stock ip and injecters. Also I am only running diesel fuel and power service

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you have good compression it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds at idle for that cylinder to build up enough heat just from compression to ignite.

I would change glow plugs, but have an open mind about them nit being the root cause.

Cause in point. My father in laws truck misses when cold. All glow plugs check out ok though.....(less than 1 ohm cold).