milkshake oil after startup

gfemling

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I had similar situation with oil cooler and manual says can pull/ install oil cooler without pulling engine BUT that was for 87 NA; I have Hypermax intercooled setup. Book procedure has left motor mount unbolted from frame perch and jacked up 1” to allow clearance to maneuver cooler assembly out. The problem there for non-NA is the turbo-firewall interference when engine jacked; I was only able to get about 3/4”. Was able to get it done in place but tight. But then your engine/chassis may hurt access?? Best of luck!

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I had similar situation with oil cooler and manual says can pull/ install oil cooler without pulling engine BUT that was for 87 NA; I have Hypermax intercooled setup. Book procedure has left motor mount unbolted from frame perch and jacked up 1” to allow clearance to maneuver cooler assembly out. The problem there for non-NA is the turbo-firewall interference when engine jacked; I was only able to get about 3/4”. Was able to get it done in place but tight. But then your engine/chassis may hurt access?? Best of luck!
I think I have saving Grace in the fact that it is in a super duty. I have room for days above the intake at the firewall. Turbo or not shouldn't be an issue. I'll get pics. And I have plenty of room under the cooler. The hickup is the front of the oil cooler is tucked behind the power steering pump on my serpentine belt kit. Will have to remove that I think to get to those bolts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found some more of the install
You must be registered for see images

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can tell I had to notch the crossmember for the oil pan and also had to slide the trans crossmember one set of holes

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got room

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil cooler off. The filter head and has some crud in the groove where the oil seal sits. Everything else looks great. I found a very very very small nic in the small o-ring. Could have missed it very easily. Is it possible for that to cause this leak? Or is it the crud sitting on the landing?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much oring damage to cause a leak and it doesn't take much crud on the sealing surfaces to leak as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
True, but you do have a lot of oil volume going through there while the engine's running.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well back together with Vaseline. It is amazing how much easier it goes together when you have a press and not using a ratchet strap and a dead blow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86