Mich to Florida pulling 7000# advice on pretrip inspection

Hill Jack

Reaction score
This forum is great, been reading, learning, and luvin my IDI. 10 mo. and my first post. 86 rwd 6.9 c6 3.55 127,000 mi. What else oil, grease, tires, filters and ?????? Dont want to unload the harleys premature. lol

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats sounds about right. Take some spare hoses, belts and fuel filters. Even if you don't use them at least you have them and will use them later on.. Sounds like a fun trip too.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your trailer ball, and maybe replace if you've had it a while. Dad unloaded his boat using his lucky trailer ball that had served him for years without ever loosening. He said he quit looking at it as closely and one day it failed him. Chains held but still made a mess of his boat and trailer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
repack the trailer bearings, get new trailer tires if it is even hinting at weatherchecking. i usually keep a laser temp gun in the door pocket to check the axle temps on a long run.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what stop will you make in FL I am in Miami but Im headed north to Alabama.

I cant leave without my favorite brand of lube in everything, so far it must be working with 27 mpg so far.
Have a 2000 mile trip within a week coming up, will know exactly how good she gets...

Javier

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring:

5/16" fuel hose, 10 ft.
3/8" fuel hose, 10 ft.

Spare inline electric fuel pump

10ft of good gauge wire
wire strippers, butt, loop connectors.

Electrical, duct tape.

Basic socket/wrench set.

If you're heading down I-57 through Illinois, and have some sort of malfunction, let me know. I know people all the way from WI/IL border to the southernmost tip of the state. Currently residing around MM 54 on I-57. Have a shop, knowledge, and equipment to work on most issues.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget a complete set of tools, beer, and toilet paper just in case things do get rough LOL.

Hill Jack

Reaction score
Thanks for all. Daytona Beach Bike Week I-75 all the way.
Any common falures on a long haul?

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem more issues with trailer parts failing than tow vehicle failures. Tires bearings and electrical issues seem to creep up at the worst time. I would try to keep a full set of bearings and all related parts. Oh and don't forget a fire extinguisher first aid kit and some good sun block.

Hill Jack

Reaction score
Right on with the sun block. What about a good idi shop or person in monroe mi/toledo ohio area for a good once over and timing check ?