Metallic sounding clunk? RESOLVED!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I've got a weird sounding clunk coming from what sounds like the rear-end. It just started within the last couple weeks. The sound only happens when i first put it in drive but not always which is also strange. Sometimes it will go several times and no sound and I think hmmm maybe it's gone...nope it's back. Never in any other gear, just drive. I can go from park to drive and clunk then to reverse no clunk, but put it back to drive and get the clunk. Now as I sit here typing the sound is just like when you put your vehicle in drive after it's been sitting on a hill and you didn't set the emergency brake. You know when you have to force the gear shift and you get that clunk. Anyway what is this sound and what do I do to fix it? Or is it anything to worry about?
Thanks!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done a thing yet except put an ear to the ground trying to figure out exactly where it's coming from. I was looking for a place to start really, and that's as good a place as any...just odd that it's only in one direction...I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow and maybe check it out a bit closer.

Black dawg

Reaction score
make sure the axle to hub bolts are good and tight, I had a similar noise that turned out to be this

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I went ahead and decided to do something I never do.....I called the only mechanic I trust to do stuff when I can't or don't want to fool with it and I'm gonna drop it off to him in the morning. I've been refurbing an old truck camper for the last 2 months and our maiden voyage is next week and I don't want to be worrying with it leading up to our trip. I've still got some loose ends with the camper and I don't want to run out of time before we leave soooo I'm gonna put it in someone else's hands. We've already moved the reservations once because I didn't finish and my youngest has band practice starting yada yada yada. Luckily I've been using him for years and I trust him. Thanks again for the suggestions though.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate when you search for an answer to a particular problem you're having and find the exact situation and read the whole thread only to find the solution was never posted!! Sooooo to avoid that here I thought I would post the findings of my metallic clunk/ping or ding. It was in fact the U-joint. Thank goodness cheap easy fix. It was in pretty bad shape. So there you have it, if anyone is having a similar issue.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Eric, remember to put them on your PM schedule and grease them every once and a while (if you have the greasable type). That will help them live a longer life. They make two different types sealed and greasable. I have been installing the greasable type only because it makes me feel better if nothing else.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate when you search for an answer to a particular problem you're having and find the exact situation and read the whole thread only to find the solution was never posted!! Sooooo to avoid that here I thought I would post the findings of my metallic clunk/ping or ding. It was in fact the U-joint. Thank goodness cheap easy fix. It was in pretty bad shape. So there you have it, if anyone is having a similar issue.
eric-
re-read post #2. Corey was the first to mention U joints.
As always, any diagnosis is only as good as the information and background provided.
The more detailed and the more through of a run-up and description, the better of a response.
you of all people should know that. As an LEO, you are faced with the same issue every day.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eric-
re-read post #2. Corey was the first to mention U joints.
As always, any diagnosis is only as good as the information and background provided.
The more detailed and the more through of a run-up and description, the better of a response.
you of all people should know that. As an LEO, you are faced with the same issue every day.

Hey Towcat, I in no way meant that good suggestions were not provided. As you so rightly mentioned they indeed were! lol...I was talking about how OP's often never follow up their post with which suggestion was in fact the solution. A lot of times the OP will take all the suggestions and or diagnosis' and fix his or her problem but will never post what worked for the fix. So my intention as the original poster "OP" was to put a "bow on it" so to speak so any future searcher could see that out of all the great suggestions it was in fact dieselcrawler's first suggestion of u-joints that was indeed the problem. Gold star to him and silvers to everyone else! lol.....Sorry for the confusion.

gandalf

Reaction score
In another forum I frequent the original poster, and ONLY the original poster, may mark his question/posting as "RESOLVED" when he is satisfied that his problem is fixed. Doing so, marking his posting as "Resolved" does not close the thread or lock it, but merely indicates that the original poster has received the answer to his question, the solution to his problem.

Sometimes that solution is a total and complete fix, and sometimes it is "you can't get there from here".

I think we could benefit from this capability, being able to mark our own posting as "Resolved". It would let people know that an answer has been found, and it might encourage posters to offer that closing post and to say "Thank You".