Metal valve stems or rubber? Pro's and Con's

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
I've never heard of a high flow valve stem. Your core is the restrictive part. Are you removing that to deflate to your tires?

For instance, the 413 stem that I mentioned has a hole in the rubber that is over 1/4". It then narrows down to an 1/8 inch hole in the brass. Your 415 which is all rubber but for a 5/8" rim hole is about the same. The 600hp has similar dimensions as well. The 416 which is all metal for a 1/2" inch rim hole has about a 3/16" center hole in the brass so that would deflate a little faster. But I wouldn't recommend running solid metal stems on a rock crawler.

But if you're not removing the core, most cores have a hole that is 1/16" with a 1/32" rod going through it. So you'll see a large increase by removing it when deflating.

In the 413 there looks to be a little bit of a lip in the brass that you could drill out, but I don't think I'd bother with it, I doubt you'll gain much.

They make large bore valve stems used on AG stuff(monster truck tires) that are like half an inch OD, but I wouldn't recommend using them because hardly anybody has a chuck to fill them.
I was just trying to figure out the differences and benefits and issues with using each version, metal or metal and flexible rubber. This is a street application only. Application is a 94 1 ton diesel idi van that occasionally tows heavy bumper pull trailer. Great advice and thanks for the detailed info.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i got a tire changer a few years back and have changed probably 4 dozen sets of tires over that time. i got into the habit of always changing the valve stems when i change the tires with inexpensive hardware store ones. after about 3 to 4 stem failures 6 months to a year after i changed them i have switched to using steel stems whenever i can. i did not know about the higher pressure rating on some of the stems but half of the stem failures where on my trailer or car. none of them were fun to deal with. i am not sure if the newer rubber or buna n is lower quality and dries out quicker but they all seemed to crack at the base.

i cant always fit a metal stem on some of the cast aluminum wheels so i am still stuck with the rubber ones sometimes. other than that my vote is go metal! i get them pretty reasonable off amazon.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a tire changer a few years back and have changed probably 4 dozen sets of tires over that time. i got into the habit of always changing the valve stems when i change the tires with inexpensive hardware store ones. after about 3 to 4 stem failures 6 months to a year after i changed them i have switched to using steel stems whenever i can. i did not know about the higher pressure rating on some of the stems but half of the stem failures where on my trailer or car. none of them were fun to deal with. i am not sure if the newer rubber or buna n is lower quality and dries out quicker but they all seemed to crack at the base.

i cant always fit a metal stem on some of the cast aluminum wheels so i am still stuck with the rubber ones sometimes. other than that my vote is go metal! i get them pretty reasonable off amazon.

Quality varies on the valve stems. I always get mine from the parts store or a tire shop supply house. I run a shop and have never had a problem with the valve stems from O'Reilly. I buy them in bulk so I can't vouch for the small packages hanging on the shelf. Several years ago I heard of a recall on valve stems that came from Communist China. They had no UV protection and failed prematurely.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Quality varies on the valve stems. I always get mine from the parts store or a tire shop supply house. I run a shop and have never had a problem with the valve stems from O'Reilly. I buy them in bulk so I can't vouch for the small packages hanging on the shelf. Several years ago I heard of a recall on valve stems that came from Communist China. They had no UV protection and failed prematurely.

that very well could have been my problem, these were just the blister pack ones at my local Ace hardware. maybe i should try a better quality, the rubber stems are easier to work with. i just have a sour taste about them now with my stem failures. a couple while pulling the camper with my family on vacation. i dont need that stress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online