Metal shavings in oil!

zachacuna

Reaction score
Hi guys. First post here. I have had 94 7.3 idi turbo 140k 5 speed for about 2 years now. Some history. Drive for a while last year and realized head gaskets were bad. There wife and I pulled the motor and did all new gaskets with new IP, injectors and a few other odds and ends. Got the motor back in about 500 miles ago. Check the oil today and there is decent amount of metal shavings on the dipstick. Now I swore this thing has had a faint knock this whole time. A buddy who has had a couple idi pickups said it sounds better than any of his ever did and this is how they sound. Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please change the oil and recheck for metal. Might even take an oil sample and send it to be tested. Many members here use Blackstone Labs for testing. I used them on every oil change for several years. Nothing found wrong so its done now very seldom.. But its still being tested.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
When regasketing the heads, did you take off the oil pan? Rebuild the oil cooler? Leave the engine near a milling machine?

Change oil and check again.

zachacuna

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys for the prompt responses. So I guess I'm going to change oil, send off a sample, cut filter open and hope for the best. Not many shavings on the dipstick today, very very small sparkles a small amount. When we did the gaskets we did have pan off. I don't really recall oil conditions. TBH wasn't really looking.. Engine was in the shop I work at always covered when not being worked on. Cleaned and resealed oil cooler. Finally got this beast tagged and insured was hoping to drive her for a while before having to pull the motor again. If it is shavings from the motor what could that be?
Thanks guys! Will post update soon.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be anything metal ;) Cam lobes or lifter bottoms... bearings (cam, rod, main)... bits of piston. You can always keep an eye on it and keep driving it. Either it'll stop shedding metal, or will declare itself eventually!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't open the door till someone's knocking at it! Maybe you resurfaced/cleaned the head gasket surfaces or other areas before installing heads and while cleaning it got some stuff into oil somehow?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828