Meet 'Tex'

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Hey there.. Well from those of you who met me at the 2012 IDI Rally, I made mention of my truck 'Tex', (as also listed in my signature)

A quick story: My first IDI was an extended cab '85 F-250 Explorer; aptly called ol' blue, because, well, Ron would be proud of me.. a solid blue truck, complete with blue interior. That truck met it's demise from a tree falling on it while driving down the road (another story for another day)
I needed a truck, and wanted another Ford Diesel, so I picked up an '84 standard cab, which it's nick name would be censored, as I hated that truck, and when it engine puked on me, it was almost a blessing. (Blasphemer yes, but some trucks shouldn't be in existence) .. and it prompted me to seek a truck that I truly enjoyed, and so the search nationally began to find another '85 extended cab Diesel.

Some many months later I found my dream truck, in Ft. Worth Texas. It was love at first sigh; and bought pretty much over the phone without actually seeing it.

She sat almost the first year because I didn't want to drive it in the salt belt; but the day came when I had to, and I loved driving her so much she became my daily driver. When fuel prices got so high in '08, i succumbed to my finances and bought a car, and 'Tex' became my work truck, and Saturday night vehicle.

In the fall of '08 her C6 let go (after battling for a good many months) and she was put out to pasture. I still visited her every month or so, and started her up to keep her lubed up and such. I even changed her oil annually even though it had zero miles on the change :p

Well, last spring the IP went. Rotary head seized, and broke the input shaft (didn't surprise me because this is the 4th time it has done this)

... Today:
After seeing Heath's truck, (same paint scheme), and the rally in general, it has given me renewed aspirations to get her going, and that's what I intend on using this thread for. Documenting progress, and obtaining suggestions for my unique scenario.

What it needs: New IP, New Injectors (why not?), trans, axle seals, rear brakes because of seals, brake proportioning valve, ditching mech fuel pump; installing duralift pump, VRV missing, replace trans, trans cooler upgrade, interior mending (drivers door is a mess, and window switches are both broken), windows seals, HVAC blower motor, blower switch, heater core, new hub covers, a wash, and maybe a coat of paint for the hood, and cab roof.

This is just what comes to mind while sitting at work on lunch. I am looking forward to starting and doing this project, and I hope those who read this will find the same enjoyment out of this as I do.

The pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

I forgot I need a new Ford grill emblem

Here you can see, from sitting nonetheless, the fender has began bubbling from rust, and the trim has peeled away from the body.

The Factory numbering of 6.9/7.5L is still very legible on the frame behind the drivers rear wheel.

Bed is still straight (had a cap on it in a previous life)

The heart (now dormant) ... Don't even ask where the duct tape came from!!! (I have no idea)

Side view

The O.D. is missing a 1 at the beginning

...and what are we going to do with this?!?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You have a solid rig to work on, for sure. Between you and DieselDog Catcher, we are in for some good resto threads.:sly Best of luck.;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story! ;Sweet

To bad we didn't get to meet at the Rally. One of these years me and the wife and the kid are going to get out that way. I've been sanding the tracks with her for a while now to get her going on the idea, she's almost there! :D

:hail

Good luck getting the truck back up to speed. That truck is too nice to be keeping the pasture grass company, it deserves to feel the wind under it's cab again. :D

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Door panel doesn't look too bad, the worst part is when the sun destroys the plastic under you forearm. Everything else can be fixed. unless the slots underneath have been broken. I have the part number for the push pins to hold it on the door if you need any. Don't bother buying them from Ford, aftermarket ones are way cheaper.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Always proud of blue trucks Don. :)
Now get to working on Tex the two tone **** tan truck my friend. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see a nice paint color truck. I also see some rust on top of the air filter housing. Thats from the cowl seal to hood joint. Do not let this happen. As rain water settles on top of that it drains thru the center stud. Then it in the manifold and ruins a cylinder or two. Its happened to several members. Some in very long good standing too. Luckly the member felt the engine stop cranking and didn't try any more cranking. Removed the glow plug and hand cranked the engine. Then cranked by starter and got a bath from all the rain water. These engines have at most 45 thousands clearance between the heads and pistons. No room for liquids at all. A piston at or near the bottom of the stroke gets some water in it. Then it gets a good start running to tdc and bang... A rod thru the block or bent rod... Then your in a pickle. Please place a plastic trach bag ober the air filter lid. Save your engine. Under that filter lid wing nut was a factory metal and rubber coated on one side washer. Most trucks are missing these important washers.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure do like those trucks and especially that colour combination....Good luck with your build it should be a good one. How about a manual conversion? Or find a Gear vendors for that C6 and make some decent mileage too.

Great base to start with and keep us informed and thanks for the pictures.

Al

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Door panel doesn't look too bad, the worst part is when the sun destroys the plastic under you forearm. Everything else can be fixed. unless the slots underneath have been broken. I have the part number for the push pins to hold it on the door if you need any. Don't bother buying them from Ford, aftermarket ones are way cheaper.
It has a little sun destruction, but not too too badly. The door panel is securely fastened to the door, but the aluminum trim has been destroyed because it came loose and someone before me zip screwed it back on, the speaker cover has come off (easy fix though), and the window switch, and the plastic retainer are bad.

What does it have for a fuel filter?

Who needs a fuel filter? :p Seriously, the GM CS-144 alternator was too deep to fit with the filter bracket in place, so it was cut down, and brackets were fabricated to mount the filter assembly on the frame rail under the driver's door. Additionally I plumbed it so each tank has it's own filter; one plugs up, flip a switch and new tank, different fuel, different filter.
I also made some custom fuel heaters out of some glow plugs and billet aluminum blocks. Work great too!

I see a nice paint color truck. ... Under that filter lid wing nut was a factory metal and rubber coated on one side washer. Most trucks are missing these important washers.

I know those are there, and they are good. I replaced that washer once I saw the hood seal had dry rotted out; and didn't want to take any chances.

Always proud of blue trucks Don. :)
Now get to working on Tex the two tone **** tan truck my friend. :D

Two tone ****??? I see how it is!!! I'll see your slandering, and raise you:

This is what happens to BLUE trucks!
;Poke

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ouch!!! Touché!!
She fought right up to the end. That could have gone alot worse.

Last edited:

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
It could have gone way worse once you hear the whole story, and see all the pictures...
i think i feel another thread topic coming along...

Random fact: youll see my volt meter leads hanging off the side in one of the pictures, after we pried the hood open, i found the main cab feeb fuse link ripped in two, conncted it, and it ran like nothing happened. even drove it down the road, and still drove straight. i still have the radiator with a perfect circle from the alternator pulley pressed into the top of it. I spend an afternoon and got the passenger door to latch, and vacummed up all the glass and covered it up with a tarp, and drove it around the 80 acre farm i was renting for about a year before i repurposed the engine.
if that doesnt speak volumes about these trucks, well then i dont know what does.

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
nice rig you got and a very neat story! cant wait to see this brown truck evolve into a beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online