mech temp gauge installed, 210 is normal right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My flatbed is between 200-210. Isspro electric gauge. Sender is in the drivers head closest port to the firewall.

Thats not the best place to pick up coolant temps. The flow is from back of heads to the front of heads. So the front will be hotter than the back. You might want to change the sender for a better reading.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
thinking of it, my autometer gauge floats around 210 when i'm climbing hills. it's the the second port back on the driver head. going to throw a stock tstat in just to be safe!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent gotten around to driving the truck much or hauling anything, but I will be keeping my eye on the temps when driving around. Theyres some nice steep hills around my area i will try lugging the engine up to see how the coolant temps react.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
190'ish empty in the 6.9. Hauling the 5'th wheel....... 209 210. Sender is in the rear port in the passenger's side head.

180'ish in the 7.3 empty. Rarely ever haul anything with it other than relatively light loads (stuff in the bed, small trailer with dirt bikes and such). Sender is in the over temp port at front of driver's head.

Heath

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
210-225 auto meter gauge.mechanical.sending unit in front port of drivers head - oem over temp light sender location.
currently fighting 260+ oil temps that are quickly sending my coolant temps upwards 240 loaded on the hills.
(new issue this summer with recently installed FMIC and large aux trans cooler in front of rad)
aux oil cooler w/ t-stat coming soon.
possibly functional fender vents as well.under hood temps are through the roof.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, so all those other coolers infront of the rad are really affecting coolant and oil temps that much eh, ouch!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes very bad.of course seeing 240 on the gauge isn't so bad at the idot light port as it would be at the stock sending unit location,but by the time i get to the top of a long grade,just moderately grossing 14k (running light/medium as i call it) she's climbing fast! thank the maker iv got the electric cooling fans,so i can turn 'em on soon pre hill.i don't have a oil temp gauge (this is being rectified as well.will be here Monday) but i figured this was the reason for the quick coolant spikes.so i pulled right over a couple times now and shot the pan with my temp gun.sure enough oil temps up over 260 degrees at the base of the pan.
that's asking way too much from any coolant system.this oil cooler should really smarten her right up again.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
210-225 auto meter gauge.mechanical.sending unit in front port of drivers head - oem over temp light sender location.
currently fighting 260+ oil temps that are quickly sending my coolant temps upwards 240 loaded on the hills.
(new issue this summer with recently installed FMIC and large aux trans cooler in front of rad)
aux oil cooler w/ t-stat coming soon.
possibly functional fender vents as well.under hood temps are through the roof.

You talking about trans oil right? I wouldnt mess with the factory engine oil cooler.

I have a mechanical engine oil temp gauge. There is a 1/2NPT port on the filter housing that I used. It reads after the cooler so the true temps arent known, but I couldnt figure out a way to get the pre cooler temps. Out of my 9 aftermarket gauges, its pretty low on the list of importance.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^hes definitly talking about engine oil cooler. the stock cooler relies only on the coolant to shed the heat. but when your coolant is already at 240, with minimal air flow due to two other damns infront of it...somethings gotta give..

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
right.engine oil.
i would never let my E40D reach 260 degrees.trans is running nicely at 170-190 (aux 180* t-stat.)
with an aux oil cooler and 200* t-stat im hoping to help maintain oil temps of a much more sensible 200-230* range.this should really take a load off the coolant system.not to mention,oil shouldn't be up over 230* anyway.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online