manual trans fluid

CH302K

Reaction score
I had a converision clutch installed in my 1993 f350 7.3 idi and the shop said they changed the fluid at the same time.It now sounds like the trans wants to come out and sit next to me.Hard to hear the radio.
Any thoughts?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Question? It would help to know what transmission you have.

I just completed a SMF conversion in my '91 F-350 with the LUK conversion kit, while also changing the fluid and went back with the Lucas Semi Syn. ATF that can be had at most auto parts stores, runs about $7.99 a quart. If you have the ZF5 trans. You will need at least 6.8 pints or 4 quarts of fluid. Then I added one additional quart for roll over noise. The noise is the natural of the ****** with the ZF5 even with the DMF that was in there from the factory had roll over noise, just not as pronounced, due to the springs in the flywheel.

CH302K

Reaction score
WTH is rollover noise? I've heard it talked about before but I don't get.
I have a release point on my clutch about 1in off the floor.Did yours work out ok?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Rollover, as I have understood is the slapping or vibration of the motor and transmission being mated to together, which starts with the motor and works it way through the drive train, once the vehicle increases sped it usually fades away. Addidng an additional quart of fluid helps queiten the noise down.

Let me ask this, when does the noise start, while sitting still and gets louder as you accelerate or does it start in first gear, continues in second gear and fades away just before shifting in thrid gear. If it starts when you crank up, it will be the flywheel dust cover rubbing on the flywheel, if it happens you need to remove the dust cover and bend it away from the flywheel and if after starts after your in motion and fades away it will be rollover noise.

Hope this helps clarify your problem

John

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
The release point on mine also is about an inch off of the floor also and I couldn't be more happier with the conversion compared to the bouncing of the truck when letting off the clutch in first or reverse with the old DWF.

CH302K

Reaction score
I leave in second gear.When I release the clutch the noise starts but does go away as I increase in speed.I don't hear it third or up.If the trans is full with four qts.,how do I put in a fifth?
I called the shop and used a generic dextron.What do you suggest?

CH302K

Reaction score
I had that too! I tow a racecar and thought I needed to use 1st to get going.I could not use 1st.Good to know it was not just my truck.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the trans is full with four qts.,how do I put in a fifth?
Don't put in a fifth; waste of good scotch, and it will contaminate the ATF.

Oh, a fifth quart.... sorry... The trick for overfilling the trans is to remove the shifter and pour it in from there.
I called the shop and used a generic dextron.What do you suggest?
Dunno about the IDIs, but ZF specifies that behind a PSD, the ZF5 should get synthetic ATF. Castrol TranSynd or Royal Purple are the ones I hear good stuff about.

Doesn't seem right, though, that your clutch action should be so low in the pedal movement. I wonder if they somehow let air into the hydraulics when they had the slave off the tranny. Also, I know that with the ZF5 behind the PSDs, there was a TSB about the fork being weak, and that Ford has a new improved version. Did they replace the fork by any chance?

CH302K

Reaction score
No the fork was not replaced.I was argueing with a coworker about a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder.He crawled under my truck and said yes there is.It's a small allen screw.That's this weekends project.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A few points here. If they used an 11" single mass flywheel kit, you are GOING to have rollover noise, Get over it. If you want it quiet you need to use a 12 or 12 1/4 " setup . The 11" only have 4 springs in the disc hub, half as many as the DMF, the larger ones have about 9, roughly the same as the DMF, so they absorb the torqhe impulses from the engine instead of sending them straight to the tranny input shaft.

If you want to quiet it down a tad, switch your lube to a 30 or 50 wt synthetic ATF, and at the VERY least you should have reguler Synthetic ATF in there, but not plain ol dexron , THe spec for the Zf5 in a diesel was changed a long time ago to at minimum to be SYNTHETIC ATF , a 30 or 50 wt falls withing the original grade specifications for the box. I personally run Amsoil 50 Wt synthetic ATF.

Whatever you do, DO NOT OVERFILL !!!!! the only thing that you will accomplish by doing this is to overpressure your seals and wind up with lubricant on your nice new clutch. If you dig around you will find TSBs on this from basically every tranny manufacurer in the world. They set lube levels to where it has to be dipped up by the lower gear cluster and carried to the upper cluster and runs back down into the bearing shaft. THis is a tried and true design. If you attemppt to dampen the shock impulses in the top shaft by bathing it in oil, you are exposing the seals to lube under extreme pressure that they were not designed fo, they were only designed to deflect spray.

As far as clutch position, any time you throw an aftermarket clutch in, especially with a flywheel change ( especially if spacers were missed ) you can end up needing an adjustable clutch master pushrod. About $11 at Napa will take care of the clutch adjustment problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828