Manual glow plug button good temp fix?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know why after this fix my controller started working better? Only thing I can think of is manually running them maybe burned crap off the plug. Like I said two days of holding them for 9 seconds and my wts light is back to being on standard time instead of under a second

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
anyone know why after this fix my controller started working better? Only thing I can think of is manually running them maybe burned crap off the plug. Like I said two days of holding them for 9 seconds and my wts light is back to being on standard time instead of under a second

Maybe you just had a bad connection on the white wire terminal that was fixed after you added the manual push button. I left my white wire disconnected so wts comes on for only a fraction of a second when I turn the key.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It took probably 7-8 minutes of trying to start this morning including breaks. I took 5 minutes of video but cut it down for showing here. It finally started after I quit recording.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Only dropping to 11 volt, you don't have but 2 or 3 plugs running. Should drop to like 8 or 9 and go back slowly toward 12.......

Aslo, with almost no plugs working, the little short bursts of cranking will not generate enought heat to start. My IDI will start in the summer with no plugs, but it takes 10-15 real seconds of cranking to start......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Only dropping to 11 volt, you don't have but 2 or 3 plugs running. Should drop to like 8 or 9 and go back slowly toward 12.......

That few? Maybe so. I need to try sanding the contacts on the harness too, especially the ones with the plastic cover missing.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I wonder if some of it is poor fuel pickup in the tank. When I have a horrible time starting it, it always seems to be when I park on a steep uphill. I have about 1/4 tank right now but it started fine just now on the first try when parked fairly level.

I can’t remember what fuel level I had the last time it gave me such a horrible time but it’s always on that steep hill, facing uphill.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Um, yeah. One of the most common problems on these trucks...

I had a 78 Dodge with an easy to get at sending unit (on the side of the tank) but it’s fuel sock was just on the end of a rigid steal pipe. It was just a rare sending unit, I refurbished it for about $30 including making a new rubberized cork gasket. Considering you have to pay $200 for one, if you can even find it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I finally put in the new plugs. The old were all autolites. None are swollen but they all have heavy carbon build up. I had to use a 3/16 Allen wrench to clean the holes before the new ones would even go in.

Only 3 or 4 of the old test good.

I’m still getting about an 11.3v reading when running the plugs but I’ll know better if it starts hard tomorrow since I already started it this morning on the old plugs. I only drove a mile then parked to do the plugs, so it isn’t stone cold right now.

I did crank it up just now and it did just fine after running the new plugs about 5-7 seconds.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I think you're issue won't be much of an issue anymore.

Considering the low tonight is 28, we will see.

I was running the old plugs 3-5 times to aid in starting in the 30s over the past several mornings. I would run them 10 seconds, wait 30 seconds and repeat. It took a few extra tries and long cranking this morning on the old ones.

I got a bottle of the winter version of diesel kleen in the white bottle and put some in on my fill up last week. I use th grey non-winter kind typically every other fillip when it’s not below 35ish.

I don’t think the fuel heater is there anymore so that probably doesn’t help. A previous owner already replaced the steel line from the pump to the filter with a hose.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just a fyi, the fuel heater on these trucks is useless.
Iirc, Gary (icanfixall) said you would have to leave the key on somewhere between 5-15 minutes.
Fuel temp shouldn't affect starting anyways.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel temp shouldn't affect starting anyways.
Until the fuel starts to gel, anyway....
As long as you run winterized fuel in the winter, everything will be fine. Or make sure that you add enough anti-gel to your summer fuel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yup. Was gonna add that unless it's gelled, or the filter has a ton of water. Lol
But I would say if it's cold enough to gel in the filter, it'll likely gel in the lines.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online