LUK SMF Flywheel Bolt pattern???

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me with this issue. I know there is a few companies making SMF flywheels for these engines but do they all have the same bolt pattern for the pressure plate? The reason I ask is because I have a LUK SMF kit installed right now and it needs a new pressure plate and disc but the flywheel is okay. I was going to just buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRUT...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1278wt_939 but then I read that LUK uses a one off bolt pattern on their kits which forces you to buy their re-set which is over 400.00 with shipping. Any help would be great.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me with this issue. I know there is a few companies making SMF flywheels for these engines but do they all have the same bolt pattern for the pressure plate? The reason I ask is because I have a LUK SMF kit installed right now and it needs a new pressure plate and disc but the flywheel is okay. I was going to just buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRUT...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1278wt_939 but then I read that LUK uses a one off bolt pattern on their kits which forces you to buy their re-set which is over 400.00 with shipping. Any help would be great.

Folks buy Luk clutches all the time to use with other flywheels. Now , call me silly, but I really can't imagine a company setting up production for two different bolt patterns for the same application just to screw folks who bought their kit.
What don't remove your inspection cover and measure the spacing between the bolts on your existing one and then ask the seller what the spacing is on that one and see if they are the same?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score

That kit looks like the right one...

I just went out in my shed and looked at my LUK SMF setup next to the factory DMF stuff. No way will they interchange. The Luk pressure plate measures 13.5" hole center to hole center. The factory PP is about 1" smaller at 12.5".

Maybe ask the seller what the measurement is???

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the info from luk and from Perfection Clutches. Going to have to buy a new flywheel!

Luk does use a very wide pattern on the hole spacing which means only their parts fit it.

Perfection uses the standard OEM pattern from 1988 and up and the correct part number is 91200

Thanks for all the help! I browse this forum a lot but don't post often. I see lots of the same user names on this website as I do on the Ford Trucks website. I think I will start posting here more often!

Mike

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
would it be cheaper to have a machine shop punch a few holes lined up right for a stock clutch?

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got quoted 95.00 to re drill the holes! A new flywheel is 109.99 online and the clutch kit from Perfection is 180.00 so about 290.00 and get a whole new SMF kit. Have already had way to many issues with LUK for me to want to deal with them (some of the worst after sale support I have ever had) or their products anytime soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online