Lowering the IDI?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
SInce I have too many trucks and don't need another high ground clearance I'm thinking of lowering the '85 dualie 2wd at some point :angel: but I find a dearth of products to lower the front end ;Really anyone here found any? I'm thinking 1-2 inch drop in the front and add suplemental airbags to the rear, drop it to level with the front, but add air to raise rear end and/or keep load capacity :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, batteries dead again :mad:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I would love to do that to the Enterprise.Maybe do air bags all around.Lower it for general cruising and when I want to haul(or crappy roads) rise it back up to stock.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I was thinking less than 3", but I love the lowrider dualie look :thumbsup: as long as rear capacity is kept, don't really need to raise the truck for capacity, but increase the spring rate :)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd contact DJM to see if they could make a custom lower setup seeing that they already have to fabricate the arms anyways.

As far as load capacity goes......With air ride rear suspension you can run a self leveling valve like they do on a semi truck to get the best of both worlds automaticly, lower pressure for smooth ride running empty and increased pressure for running loaded.

If you really want to get fancy get a solenoid operated dump valve too like the big rigs have. That way you can drop or pick up a loaded trailer without having work so hard to jack the landing gear up to clear the ball, that is of course if the last person to drop the trailer didn't leave it too low.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
For me it seems silly to lower the only truck I have, but if I'm gonna have 3 trucks then I might as well make them 3 different trucks :) 1 lowered, one stock hight, one lifted :thumbsup:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I could personally never lowride a vehicle again, especially a truck. My 89' Firebird, as much as i love her, is always hitting speedbumps with a grind, and almost always grinds coming out of parking lots, and everybody who rides with me complains about the height.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've been toying the idea myself for the Beef.
Only thing I have as a concern is the bumping and grinding the uneven roads round this are hence my thoughts of fiberglass skirts.
I had a set on Goldie when I bought it but removed them as a 4x4 looks kinda funny with them sitting up in the air and all.:rolleyes:
So with the fiberglass skirts that I have i'm gonna stick em on the Beef and give it that faux lowered look but still have the factory clearance in case of the need to haul a heavy load and at a fraction of the cost.;Sweet
Heck I might even grab a set of super single style tires for the rear to give it that tubbed look as well.cookoo
Agnem said:
Notwithstanding, that arena of truck interest really seems to get the chicks. Check out http://sporttruck.com and take a look at who manufactures wheels for these kinds of rigs.
Mel good eye.;Sweet

Last edited:

SIKPUP

Reaction score
This is something I have thought about many times, When I need to do major front end work or have the extra $$$, I would go as far as dropped I beams and the front and rear shackle kit but not the rear flip kit. I need to keep my towing capacity, and would like to close up the gaps in between the tires and fenders. This could be done with reasonable money. I have a friend that did air bags on all 4 corners with remote control lift / lower. That truck is cool but big bucks to get that done. Way to many things to go wrong with all that stuff.

SIKPUP:D

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I personally don't get the whole lowered truck thing either, but I too respect the work that goes into making a vehicle something you enjoy. I live in the land of lowered/hydraulic suspensions so I see it a lot. That being said, when I go forth with my '66 Impala restification, I'm toying with the idea of an air ride suspension as well. Not for a lowrider look, because it would stay stock ride-height, but in pusuit of a more modern, sportier ride quality. Air suspensions have come a long way in the last 5-10 years. They've been around for a long time. I believe Cadilac first started using air suspensions back in the '50's and they've been standard issue on a lot of, if not all, Lincolns for the last 15 years.

Tom

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I may need to get a part time job at that Oasis wheels outfit. I think the employees there could use some of my help!:love: :D

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I like the idea of air ride suspension on the 66' impala. I put it on the 67' Firebird a few years back and it is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin